Advanced Search

Author Topic: General Common Room Chat Thread  (Read 10715 times)

August 01, 2016, 01:49:41 AM
Reply #30

C_Zachero

• Hello

Re: General Common Room Chat Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
Luckily I managed to get both the Weasley Twins and the Ravenclaw image. I should've thought to grab all the possible banners.

Plus my avatar. If I had lost that I would've been so upset...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:50:41 AM by C_Zachero »

August 01, 2016, 02:01:49 AM
Reply #31

nyraT54

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 02:01:49 AM »
on my profile, to upload my avatar, there seems to be no where, that's appearing at least, to click, to, you know, proceed to upload it =\

anyway, in my MNI tabs MNI-time/CST is still ticking away correctly. It didn't freeze up. It's all still there I suppose then, at least for the moment, we're just denied access to it. Which I guess is the case until it's definitively removed from the server?

August 01, 2016, 02:05:27 AM
Reply #32

C_Zachero

• Hello

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:27 AM »
on my profile, to upload my avatar, there seems to be no where, that's appearing at least, to click, to, you know, proceed to upload it =\

You'll have to upload it to an image-hosting site and then use the url from there.

August 01, 2016, 02:05:52 AM
Reply #33

kepi

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »
Taryn, go here and click "Specify avatar by url." You'll be able to see a box for the direct link of your avatar.

As far as MNI, yeah -- it's being prepared before it's taken to its final resting site.

Edit: As _Zachero says, you need to upload it to a hosting site.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:06:29 AM by kepi »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter, Game of Thrones

August 01, 2016, 02:09:23 AM
Reply #34

nyraT54

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 02:09:23 AM »
I did that, selected the url option, even reuploaded it to photobucket when my old link didn't work. Put in the direct link, but on this thread it kept appearing as the error stock image you get when a link is broken. It was weird.

Not sure what the problem is, but I suspect closing all tabs and relaunching chrome wouldn't hurt. Which I'm not prepared to do just yet, so I guess it can wait?

Thank you guys though!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:09:51 AM by nyraT54 »

August 01, 2016, 02:12:13 AM
Reply #35

Stardust

• Administrator

• We are the others

• Pronouns: She/her

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 02:12:13 AM »
I did that, selected the url option, even reuploaded it to photobucket when my old link didn't work. Put in the direct link, but on this thread it kept appearing as the error stock image you get when a link is broken. It was weird.

Not sure what the problem is, but I suspect closing all tabs and relaunching chrome wouldn't hurt. Which I'm not prepared to do just yet, so I guess it can wait?

Thank you guys though!

It's because photobucket is massively jacked up -- if you click the "direct link" box next to the image, it doesn't give you a proper direct link. You have to open your image and right click on it and  "get image info" then copy your direct link from there, and that should work.

The photobucket one just doesn't work properly for some reason.

Personally, I use Tinypic for everything these days, it works a lot better and doesn't give me those headaches ;)
  • Fandoms: Doctor Who, Merlin, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Mortal Instruments, The Magicians, Hunger Games

August 01, 2016, 02:15:52 AM
Reply #36

wishes

• (:

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 02:15:52 AM »
I had the exact same problem </3 Photobucket for some reason really doesn't like me, so Tinypic or even Imgur I think are much more friendly at least with this site!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:16:02 AM by wishes »

previously Nyu

August 01, 2016, 02:16:03 AM
Reply #37

nyraT54

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 02:16:03 AM »
It's because photobucket is massively jacked up -- if you click the "direct link" box next to the image, it doesn't give you a proper direct link. You have to open your image and right click on it and  "get image info" then copy your direct link from there, and that should work.

The photobucket one just doesn't work properly for some reason.

Personally, I use Tinypic for everything these days, it works a lot better and doesn't give me those headaches ;)
Thanks! I'll switch to tiny pic for this then. I got so wrapped up on nostalia tonight that I just kinda went back to my old profile on there, haha. Hadn't used it before tonight in years.

(edit: the issue is all better! though there was a very strange moment before I put in my avatar's urll when a direct link was in my profile for an avatar that I did not place there... so that was weird?)

So did anyone else used to have MNI themed dreams? Mine would play out like conversations with people but accompanied by MNI blueness and the vague idea of posts
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:23:26 AM by nyraT54 »

August 01, 2016, 02:22:46 AM
Reply #38

C_Zachero

• Hello

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 02:22:46 AM »
I did once or twice after a night of browsing MNI for hours.

August 01, 2016, 02:38:00 AM
Reply #39

Tina

• Administrator

• The Angels have the phone box

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »
I definitely had RP-influenced dreams over the years, usually when I was up way, way too late RPing and basically fell asleep at my computer.

Then there were dreams, particularly during the early years, when I'd be at my computer on the site talking to people, like Nyra mentioned. I could never quite remember the conversations when I woke up, but I do remember that once it was like...half conversation and half reality? So I'd be typing a post, but I'd also be walking around the virtual world of that post?

Yeah...it was definitely as weird as it sounds.

And man, I haven't thought about that in years. That had to have been...2004 or 2005, maybe?
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Merlin, Star Wars, Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow, Marvel Universe

August 01, 2016, 09:43:29 AM
Reply #40

wishes

• (:

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
A forum dream! I've never heard of that before -- I would be super interested to experience that. Maybe I should soend tonight just browsing the forum...

I haven't had MNI dreams per say, but I have had Harry Potter dreams after playing the EA Harry Potter games if anyone has played that? Me and my sister used to play it because I was completely pathetic at certain things like ice sliding, while she was bad at the mini games like flying Buckbeak. We made a great team :P

previously Nyu

August 01, 2016, 12:28:35 PM
Reply #41

JudithC

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
I just had another moment of feeling kicked in the guts and wanting to cry.  MNI used to be the startup page for my browser, but last night I switched it over to here.  When I started my browser and didn't immediately see MNI, the way I have for most of the 6 1/2 years I was on MNI...  *cries*  Obviously I'm being less successful at moving on than I'd hoped to be.

What I've heard/read is that your dreams are often based on what you were thinking about as you were falling asleep.  Using that information I used to be able to "program" my dreams, though more recently I haven't been able to stay that focused.  So I haven't had MNI dreams, but back in the day I used to have some dandy Star Wars dreams.

The problem I've had with Photobucket is that (probably because it's so ad-intensive) it makes my combination of Windows 10 and either Internet Explorer or Edge choke.  I solved that by switching to Firefox, which I need to use anyway for verifying that the links to my bases work because large images also crash the other combo.  I can't remember the title of the link I pick, but it's the one with just the path and filename (starts with http and ends with .png or .jpg or whatever the image type is).  Since I know how to type in the BB code tags I need, I'd just as soon do it by hand instead of relying on some random Photobucket employee's syntax.

August 01, 2016, 02:54:07 PM
Reply #42

turelie

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
I opened photobucket the other day - what a mess. I don't like it at all anymore. It's so hard to do anything on that website.

The only MNI dreams I ever had were stress related - things like freaking out about the seeker essays or meeting staff-related deadlines. I have lame dreams.

August 01, 2016, 02:55:08 PM
Reply #43

C_Zachero

• Hello

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
I usually use imgur nowadays. The UI is cleaner and I find it easier to use.

August 01, 2016, 02:59:52 PM
Reply #44

aera

• Pronouns: They/Them; He/Him

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Oh, a Photobucket conversation! Yeah... after my adblock started showing PB with 30+ ads per page, I stopped using it. That was 3 years ago, give or take. I have always had issues with tinypic with images showing up. Personally I prefer to use imgur, it has a straight-forward setup. The only thing I miss is that imgur renames all the image urls different from the original file name, whereas PB keeps it. But I was excited to see recently that imgur now offers thumbnail options, which they did not before, which meant I had to use Photobucket for that or manually make my own. With my internet situation, PB is not ideal, and it takes about 5 minutes for a single image to load, whereas imgur can get it loaded in about 30 to 60 seconds.
  • Fandoms: Orphan Black