Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Cat Room 2  (Read 16032 times)

May 08, 2022, 09:47:32 PM
Reply #705

JudithC

Re: The Cat Room 2
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2022, 09:47:32 PM »
Last night ended with me on the couch with Callisto.  I got fairly decent sleep anyway, though not as good as it would have been if I’d been able to stay in bed.  I grabbed my last hour there after James got up, but it didn’t really add anything other than some serious cuddling with Albus.  He’s such a sweet cat!

My only accomplishments for the day were taking out the recycling and bringing in yesterday’s mail.  The mail part was slightly painful because it included my next three-month Medicare Part B payment.  It’s hard to believe I’ll only have one more of those before retirement.  I still haven’t decided if I want to go on putting them on the credit card to get the rewards or have them taken out of my Social Security payments.

It looks like James might finally be doing something about the fact that he can’t get a passport or enhanced driver’s license (to fly domestically) because his last name has not stayed the same for his whole life.  His company is going to start doing site visits to places too far away to drive, and he’d like to be available for that, which is sufficient motivation.  Never mind that I’ve been bugging him about it practically since he got out of prison in early 2015.  Obviously my opinion doesn’t count, or not as much as what the unrelated people he works for want.  Oh, and he’s not motivated enough to get his own birth certificate out of the Official Papers file in my desk, so I had to do that for him.

Otherwise, this has been a typical unproductive Sunday.  Also a typical flattened by depression day, fueled by the prospect of having to go back to work tomorrow.  I am so looking forward to never having to do that again.

May 09, 2022, 10:21:05 PM
Reply #706

JudithC

« Reply #706 on: May 09, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
This is going to be a short update because I’ve already had much too much of today.  Even my sleep last night was not a good lead-in because of all the white cat activity.  They came within a whisker of getting shut out of the bedroom again.  If they try it again tonight, they will.  It’s way too early in the week for me to feel this sleep deprived.

Today at work was very much a Monday.  The printer decided that it didn’t want to work for me.  It would find my print jobs, claim to be starting them, and then… nothing.  I determined it wasn’t an issue with that printer by the obvious method of trying two others, which went through the same routine.  Finally, after Laquesha printed successfully, I decided to try doing a cold boot on my computer.  That shouldn’t have made any difference, since I print through a print server, but it cleared up the problem.  I blame Microsnot – the same Microsnot that won’t let me paste a claim number into SharePoint if there’s something waiting to print in Outlook.

Now I’m going to veg in front of the TV because that’s all I have the brain for.  Maybe I’ll even go to bed earlier than my currently-usual 9pm.  It’s so sad.  I used to be a night person.

May 10, 2022, 10:04:01 PM
Reply #707

JudithC

« Reply #707 on: May 10, 2022, 10:04:01 PM »
Here comes a short day after getting snored out of bed last night update.  It’s only Tuesday, and I’m already feeling sleep deprived – probably not a good sign for the rest of the week.  The good news is that when I got up this morning, there was already a bit of light in the sky.

My workload was a lot less than yesterday’s, and it’s probably going to get lighter, at least for a while.  I'm semi going on strike with some of the stuff I've been doing.  I process four different categories of documents, and for some reason every time anyone talks about my work, they only mention one - like Larissa today, emailing to ask me to help with Brian's work after I finished that specific category, instead of just talking about my printing.  I've even tried correcting people, and they acted like it was a joke.  It's not.  I've had it, so from now until someone asks me why, I won't be processing the other three categories.

In other work news, Pam has a new printing buddy.  His name is Ryan, which I found out even though she didn’t bother to introduce us when she brought him up to meet Larissa.  We’ll see how long he lasts.  Whatever.  I don’t get paid enough to care.

May 11, 2022, 10:30:46 PM
Reply #708

JudithC

« Reply #708 on: May 11, 2022, 10:30:46 PM »
I doubt this will be much of an update because it was a really boring day.  In fact, the most exciting thing about it was the weather, which went from cloudy to sunny to cloudy to sunny to…  Like that.  I don’t think it ever rained, but it did blow a lot.

Last night I had the bed to myself except for the white cats, and they were reasonably well behaved.  Albus left before the night was over, and Baal was calm and cuddly.  It’s much easier to sleep when only one of them is sharing the bed, since when they’re both there, they compete for what they think is the best position crowding me.  Usually it involves my left arm.

Work wasn’t busy, but it still managed to be annoying.  I'm already stuck being back to doing the work I stopped doing.  I don't know if Larissa got the point, but I did chat about it with Pam, and I know they talk to each other.  Unfortunately Larissa seems to have gone to the same school of indifferent management as Maria, which includes avoiding conflict at all cost.

May 12, 2022, 10:38:17 PM
Reply #709

JudithC

« Reply #709 on: May 12, 2022, 10:38:17 PM »
Holy cat, I’m tired!  I slept all right last night, but it still wasn’t enough.  Somehow it never is during the week.  And tonight I’ll probably end up on the couch.  Oh, well.  Sure Happy It’s Thursday.  (Like TGIF, only different.)

Work was work – not dead, but not too busy for me to get in some extra reading.  That’s always good, even when it’s about stupid people in politics.  Were there always so many, or is it a new thing?  Maybe I’m just noticing now because I kept out of politics until Trump scared me into paying attention.  I sure wish that would end.

On the way home, my usual bus never showed up.  My best guess is that it had a new driver who didn’t get the secret handshake about where my stop is located.  That, or a driver who had driven the route before it changed to include my stop, who assumed they knew what they were doing and didn’t bother checking for changes because the old way was how it had been for as long as it existed.  Until January.  I hope somebody straightens them out before they drive it again, if they do.  Standing out at a bus stop for half an hour instead of ten minutes is not my idea of a good time.  At least it stopped raining eventually.

James gave me an early birthday present.  It's a handmade knife with a Norse style raven head on the end of the hilt.  It's wonderful, and heavier than I'd have expected, particularly since the hilt is just right for my size hand.  Now I need to find a place to display it because it's much too nice to stick in a drawer.  Happy birthday to me, a month(ish) early!

May 13, 2022, 10:49:04 PM
Reply #710

JudithC

« Reply #710 on: May 13, 2022, 10:49:04 PM »
Last night, as predicted, I ended up sleeping on the couch.  That and not being busy made today feel like it lasted forever.  Anyway, the day is over, the weekend is here, and I’m on the couch with a cat and an adult beverage.

Like I said, work wasn’t busy.  Also, the signers kept up, so I could get everything done as soon as it came in.  I ended the day with an empty work folder, just the way I like it.  Only 24 weeks to go – hooray!

The new knife is now named Ziva, after the NCIS character, because she's darkly lovely, and if you don't pay attention, you can miss how dangerous she is.  If anyone’s interested, she came from a website called Grimfrost, which has all kinds of handmade weapons and other things with an old Norse theme.  They're not cheap, but they're quite reasonable for what they are.  The price for Ziva included a very well made leather sheath designed to go onto a belt, and she was coated with the same protective lubricant used by firearms manufacturers.  James took her to work with him to show off, and he texted to let me know she has fans.

The bus going home came, which is always a plus.  There were a couple of people at the stop who hadn’t ridden it before, and I got to keep them from getting on the version that wouldn’t have taken them where they wanted to go.  Hopefully they got there eventually.

May 14, 2022, 10:29:23 PM
Reply #711

JudithC

« Reply #711 on: May 14, 2022, 10:29:23 PM »
Last night I wound up on the couch again.  I got good sleep anyway because even after moving downstairs at about 4:30am, I had another four hours of sleep before my self-imposed getting up time.  I am so looking forward to being able to do that every night, and to only having to move down the hall to the hide-a-bed once it has been moved.  I wonder what the cats will do then, and if Callisto will ever manage to find her big girl pants and join me.  This morning I had her and all three of the boys with me for a while.

Today was a sheet-changing laundry day.  Normally by now I’d be thinking about changing to the lightweight, light-colored sheets, but not this year.  It’s still too cold out for me to want to go lighter on the bedclothes.  I mean, yesterday morning when I left, the temperature was only 38.  In mid-May?  That’s ridiculous!  Memorial Day weekend and pool opening are only two weeks away.  It’s often not quite pool weather in the beginning, but at least I’ve always had the lining out of my coat, and I haven’t even considered that yet.

I’ve done the first little bit of the turning the second pair of steampunk cat earrings into a necklace project.  That was taking the earrings apart and doing a basic layout for the dangly bits.  The next step will be beading the necklace part.  I’m kind of in the mood to start that tonight, and the fact that it will be simple black square stitch should make seeing what I’m doing less difficult than when I’m doing a design.  Also, I won’t have to worry about which color bead comes next, since there will be only one color.  I will need more light when I add the dangly bits, but I doubt I’ll be ready for that until tomorrow anyway.

James has taken Ziva to show her to his friends, Russ and Julie.  I kind of miss having her in front of me on my computer table.  I still haven’t figured out where to put her for the long term.

On the subject of Ziva – the other one – I’ve been watching NCIS reruns again.  I watch them on WeTV, which has some kind of affiliation with a channel or streaming service or something called allblk.  The advertising includes shows that are available for catching up on allblk, which has me scratching my head over why they have Mama June.  (Note to self:  try to remember to ask the coworker who mentioned watching something on allblk.)  That’s besides my usual head scratching over the appeal of reality TV in general, not to mention why anyone would want to be the subject of reality TV.  You couldn’t pay me enough to be on one of those shows.  And seriously, if anybody reading this – is anybody reading this? – watches reality TV and can explain the appeal, please do.  I’m genuinely curious.

May 15, 2022, 08:21:56 PM
Reply #712

JudithC

« Reply #712 on: May 15, 2022, 08:21:56 PM »
Last night turned into another couch night.  I went to bed later than usual, which happens sometimes when I’m beading, and even sleeping in almost an extra hour wasn’t really enough.  Also, I woke up feeling with my insides feeling like crap, and they’re only starting to settle now, at after 5pm.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get some food into myself, since all I’ve eaten today was half a McDonald’s breakfast burrito.

I've made the steampunk cat necklace.  It came out pretty well, though I'm disappointed that I couldn't have the two cats facing each other because of the way the front paws are held up.  My plan is to wear the set tomorrow with a gray top that has a scoop neck that the necklace can hang above.  I wonder if anyone will notice.

Other than that, it’s been a typical unproductive Sunday.  I didn’t even get to go singing because our fearless leader got sick and cancelled today’s get-together of the community theater’s rock choir.  Oh, well.  The way I’ve been feeling, I doubt I’d have gotten there anyway, and at least this way I don’t have to feel guilty about not showing up.

May 16, 2022, 09:53:08 PM
Reply #713

JudithC

« Reply #713 on: May 16, 2022, 09:53:08 PM »
For the first time since last Wednesday, last night I got to sleep the whole night in the bed, and James took the couch.  That was good because I was beat.  Monday getting up at 5:30 wasn’t so great, but I only have to do it another 19 times, including adjusting for holidays and other days off.

I started the day feeling a different kind of crappy from yesterday.  This kind had me the kind of queasy that made me wonder if throwing up would make feel better, plus somewhat lightheaded, and before I got to the transit center, I was sweating more than was warranted by the temperature and that little bit of exercise.  Interestingly, James was feeling the same way, which suggests that last night’s dinner had something to do with it.  I hope it wasn’t the potato salad, since he’s planning to eat the rest of it.

Work was almost painfully quiet.  As in, I only got in three emails to process in the entire two hours and change after lunch.  I won’t complain if it’s the same way on my upcoming days off and the days after them, since that would mean minimal suffering on the days after.

I did get quite a bit of reading done, though I’m finding the current book less than compelling.  It’s called Our Kind of People, and it’s about the American black upper class.  It’s interesting in some ways, but it’s also confirming my long-held belief that a snob is a snob is a snob, and it’s reminding me in stomach-churning ways of the pretentious people responsible for making the worst six years of my youth the nightmare they were.  Also, oddly, even though the author has said a couple of times that there’s no reason for the black upper class to be apologetic for being as successful as they are and wanting to have their own communities, he kinda is, and he is one of them.  And then there’s the name dropping.  Holy cat, there’s a lot of it!  I can understand why, but after a certain point I started skipping over it because it’s kind of like reading the “begats” in the Bible, and I’m a lot more interested in the anecdotes from the people the author interviewed.  Anyway, I’m going to finish the book, because I haven’t even hit the chapters on specific communities yet, but I’m thinking about donating it to the library when I’m done.  That is, unless it transforms between where I am and the end into something I might want to read again.  Otherwise, I can use the bookshelf space for something else.

May 17, 2022, 10:13:02 PM
Reply #714

JudithC

« Reply #714 on: May 17, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
This is going to be a short update because I’m exhausted, mostly thanks to crap sleep last night.  It should have been better than it was.  James left me the bed, in anticipation of snoring.  What neither of us anticipated was all the cutting up from the white cats.  In retrospect, I should have evicted them from the bedroom after the first hour, but I didn’t, so here we are.

Once again work was painfully slow.  I got about twenty more emails than yesterday in the morning – still less than what I set myself as a quota before lunch – but nothing at all after lunch.  Sooo… 

I read another chunk of my book, which is definitely going to the library when I’ve finished.  I read the first two chapters on specific communities – in Martha’s Vineyard and Washington, DC – but the one I really want to read is about New York City.  I’m curious to compare what this book has to say compared to the very different perspective in Manchild in the Promised Land.  My suspicion is that this book will do a fair amount of whitewashing, so to speak, but maybe I’m being too cynical.

Yesterday at 10:27:58 PM
Reply #715

JudithC

« Reply #715 on: Yesterday at 10:27:58 PM »
Last night’s sleep, which was alone in the bed again, was somewhat better.  The cats still almost got their furry butts evicted, but they stopped short of annoying me that much, and eventually got very cuddly.  I expect to end tonight on the couch, but since this is my last real week night, I can deal.

Today’s work was doubly slow.  I only got 69 emails I could process, and I finished them off well before lunch.  Near the end of the day, Larissa asked me to help with journal entries, a.k.a. Brian’s work, until it was time for me to go.  About ten minutes later and still almost an hour shy of my leaving time, the journal entries were done, partly because Brian was already doing them.  I went to Larissa with my very best “I’m about to be cute” look on my face and said, “You said I should work on journal entries until it was time for me to go.  The journal entries are done.  Does that mean it’s time for me to go?”  It wasn’t.  *sigh*

I got a call from my dentist's office to let me know they had to cancel my appointment for next Wednesday because they no longer have a hygienist.  The one I've been seeing for about the past ten years has found a job nearer her home.  I can't blame her for that - in fact, I'm surprised she's lasted as long as she has because she lives farther away than I'd be willing to commute.  They did get me an appointment for the same day at the group's next closest practice, but quite a bit later.  Now instead of a 10:30am appointment I can walk to I have one at 5pm that involves a ride on a bus that only runs once an hour, with a last run that hits where I'd get on at 6:27. The good news is that I mentioned the situation to James, and he'll be able to pick me up after he's done chauffeuring John, though it turns into rather a lot of driving for him.

Among my home emails was one from this year’s pool volunteer coordinator.  We’ll be meeting for instructions and keys on Saturday morning.  The weather for this weekend is forecast to be glorious.  Next weekend, when the pool will actually be open, doesn't look nearly as good, but at least we're heading in the right direction, and it could all change by then anyway.