Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Cat Room 2  (Read 17818 times)

June 20, 2022, 09:43:05 PM
Reply #750

JudithC

Re: The Cat Room 2
« Reply #750 on: June 20, 2022, 09:43:05 PM »
Here comes a short update for a supremely nothing day.  At least it started after a good night’s sleep, which was a pleasant surprise since I tend to have trouble sleeping on Sunday night.

Work was, I believe, my slowest day since we started using the task-tracking spreadsheet.  Possibly longer.  Anyway, it was slow enough that I read an entire 192-page book and still had time to catch up on a lot of stupidity in the news.  Also some fun stuff.  I LOLed at my desk at this oddity.  First time that’s happened in… ever?

I ended up taking the long way home again.  The regular bus did show up eventually because I saw it as we were both approaching the bridge, but I’m not sorry I went the way I did.  I thought I’d missed my second connection, but as I got to the bus stop, my bus came around the corner.  Sometimes a bus running late is a good thing!

June 21, 2022, 06:07:57 PM
Reply #751

JudithC

Re: The Cat Room 2 - Happy birthday to meeee!
« Reply #751 on: June 21, 2022, 06:07:57 PM »
I expect this to be a short update.  I have another hour of work to go, and I’m already exhausted.  I’m cheating and writing this there because we’re going out this evening, and I have no idea when we’ll get home.  Not too late, I hope, because exhausted.

Last night’s sleep sucked dead rat, and I have no idea why.  I had the bed to myself because, as it turned out, James figured that his stuffed head would make him snore.  That is, I had no human company in bed.  Both the white cats were there, and part of my problem was that every time I turned over, Baal would move closer to fill the space I tried to make between us.  Eventually I got tired of his crowding and moved him over to James’s side of the bed.  Repeatedly.  After almost three hours of tossing and turning, and throwing off and putting back on the covers as I went from too warm to not warm enough and back, I got up and took a melatonin pill.  It may or may not have helped with the sleep, but it did leave me slightly groggy in the morning.

Hooray for my last birthday in captivity, as I put it to one of my coworkers!  Another wrote in the group birthday card that next year I’d be a free woman, which was what inspired my comment.  It might be the longest 17.6 weeks in the history of time to get there, but I will prevail!

Work has been busier than yesterday, which ain’t hard.  I just hit 100 emails, which for me is still slow, but that’s fine.  I’m hoping that nothing else comes in, so I can clear out the stuff going to the mailroom and call it good.

This would be a very good day for the express bus to show up.  Like I said, we’re going out this evening, and they want us there by no later than 6, which doesn’t allow me a lot of time for delay.  Oh, well.  I can only do what I can do, and I have no control over either the bus or the traffic.  At least it looks like nice weather for standing around at the bus stop.

June 22, 2022, 10:08:08 PM
Reply #752

JudithC

« Reply #752 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:08 PM »
Let’s start this probably short update with last night’s outing.  We got an invitation to free dinner at a place we wouldn’t normally go because of price in exchange for watching a presentation about financial planning.  We barely got there in time because the bus folks sent one of those idiot drivers who didn’t know where the pretty major street with the bus stop on it was, and I had to watch it go the wrong way and then wait twenty minutes I didn’t have for the next bus.  The presentation was boring, and the food was mostly good though on the over-salted side.  All in all, it was worthwhile for the steak, though a somewhat shorter presentation would have been better.  As it was, we didn’t get home until after 8.

Before I went to bed, I took a melatonin, and it definitely helped this time, without the grogginess because it had more time to wear off.  I even made it through the whole night in bed with James, though I almost lost my last hour to his snoring.  By then it just wasn’t worth moving to the couch.

For the first time this week, I had something resembling a day of work.  It still wasn’t what I’d call busy, but it was spread out enough to last almost all day.

The bus home actually showed up, for a change, and before the light rail so I wasn’t even tempted.  It would be nice if that happened more often, since I’m disinclined to wait for a bus that has about a 5% record of arriving on time, and these days only about an 80% record of showing up at all.

June 23, 2022, 10:14:31 PM
Reply #753

JudithC

« Reply #753 on: June 23, 2022, 10:14:31 PM »
This is going to be a short update because I’ve utterly freakin’ had it with today.  Going through most of the day feeling like it was Friday didn’t help.  Neither did my morning commute, which sucked because we got overflow traffic from a bad accident on the other highway.  I got in four minutes late, so according to the idiot timekeeping system I wasn’t tardy, but still…  What made it worse was that I’d have been on time if the bus driver had just used the shoulder that got expanded for bus use for occasions exactly like this.  So annoying.

When I got in, I found that someone had lowered all the blinds, presumably because we’re expecting heat.  I hope whoever it was had fun dealing with my creative solution for the blinds that wouldn’t stay up.  I anchored the cord to a small table by winding it around and around the legs before tying it off.  By the way, it didn’t get that hot.

Work was less busy than yesterday but busier than the other days.  Yippee.  Only one more day, and I’ll have a three-day weekend.  I’d be more excited if I didn’t have my annual physical on Monday.  Not my first choice of reasons for a day off.  Still, it’s a 9am appointment, and then I’ll have the rest of the day to myself.

June 24, 2022, 10:07:24 PM
Reply #754

JudithC

« Reply #754 on: June 24, 2022, 10:07:24 PM »
TGI finally freakin’ F!  Once again I feel like every week is longer than the one before.  On the bright side, my next four work weeks will be short, though probably still not short enough.  They never are.

The trip to work this morning was a world easier than yesterday.  In fact, I had to wait ten minutes for it to be late enough for me to clock in without Idiot’s Delight our timekeeping system calling me tardy.  Sometimes I really feel like I’m working in an alternate universe.

On the subject of alternate universe, I am beside myself about the overturning of Roe v Wade.  It’s a subject I take very personally, only partly because I am pro-choice in the most literal sense of the term.  Then, on top of that decision, Clarence Thomas proposed revisiting the decisions that legalize privacy in obtaining contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.  This is the "Justice" whose former assistant, who was then a law professor, testified at his supreme court confirmation hearings to a pattern of sexual harassment, but he got confirmed anyway because the prevailing opinion was that if it had really been that bad, she would have left, showing complete ignorance of how hard it was for a black female attorney to find that kind of job.  Oh, and his wife wrote to 29 - count 'em - elected officials in their home state, asking them to send in an "alternate" (i.e. fake) slate of electors claiming that the state went to Trump when it actually went to Biden - and he claims that what she does has no effect on him.  1) If that were true, he'd be a horrible husband.  2) She can withhold sex, so she literally has him by the short and curlies.  But the Supreme Court, unlike other courts, has no code of ethics, so he can get away with not recusing himself on matters where she has an interest.

Now I’m going to try to relax with an adult beverage and get my blood pressure down.  Happy weekend, everybody.

June 25, 2022, 07:47:34 PM
Reply #755

JudithC

« Reply #755 on: June 25, 2022, 07:47:34 PM »
Last night I got snored out of bed for the first time in a while.  Then for some reason I was wide awake at about 6:30.  Maybe it was all the sun coming in the window over the couch.  Anyway, the Albus stretched out beside me discouraged me from getting up, which I didn’t do for almost two more hours.  That was when I got a phone call.  My phone was upstairs beside the bed, but I heard my ringtone.  It may or may not have been a bad thing that it woke James up and got him out of bed so I didn’t have to wait for the sheets.

Laundry moved right along.  Putting clean sheets on the bed was slightly more difficult than it needed to be because I had a Baal cat helping.  Eventually I just pushed his butt off the bed.

As I write this, the temperature has been holding steady at 92 for a while.  It's much more comfortable inside.  I have the deck door and one downstairs window open (because the boys were arguing over space by the door), but I closed upstairs.  I'll reopen once it's down to 80 or so, on its way to a low of 65.  By the time I finished the laundry, it was too hot for me to lie out by the pool, but I'll try again earlier tomorrow.  It's our turn to open, and the new cover finally arrived, so I'll have to drag James out with me.  My plan is to go out for sunning and swimming as soon as we finish breakfast.  I eat so little that I shouldn't be courting cramps by going out right afterwards.

I have a small sewing project to do, but it might wait until tomorrow.  The left sleeve of my favorite green denim jacket has a hole down by the cuff.  I found a tank top that’s about the same color, though somewhat darker, and cut a strip off the bottom.  I’ll be using pieces of the fabric as patches on the inside, and also putting a smaller piece on the inside of the right sleeve in basically the same place, to keep what is now a very small rubbed spot from turning into a larger hole.

I do believe it’s time for a catnap, so I’m going to do that.  Hopefully by the time I finish, it will be a bit cooler.  I haven’t yet been out to check the bill box, and I really should.  Not that there’ll be anything exciting.  Bills and junk mail are the norm. 

June 26, 2022, 08:03:12 PM
Reply #756

JudithC

« Reply #756 on: June 26, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
I got the sewing project done last night after all.  It’s somewhat more conspicuous than I would have preferred, but it’s done, and it should keep the sleeves from falling apart any more.  I know it’s silly for me to go to such great lengths for a 35-year-old jacket, but besides having the best pockets ever, it has great sentimental value.  I bought it in one of the stores that used to be under the World Trade Center in New York – it and my office coffee/water mug.

To my profound disamusement, by 9am when we went out to open the pool, it was already too hot for me to feel comfortable hanging out in the sun.  So much for my pool time.  Right now we're at 97, with a predicted high of 98 on that forecast.  Another mentioned 100.  Who knows?  As much as I hated losing the fresh air, I did close the deck door when it hit 90 outside.  Next weekend is supposed to be about 20 degrees cooler, but also not sunny.  I give the forecast that far out as much credence as it deserves, which is a statistically insignificant amount above zero.

Based on some rubbing I've had on my bunion from my new sandals, I've reached the sad conclusion that even with stretching, I'm probably not going to be able to wear my new black patent leather wingtips until after I get my foot fixed.  In other words, not to OryCon in November of this year.  I'm thinking in terms of using my survey money to get a pair of boy's shoes that are similar enough, and will have wider toes so they'll fit better.  Before I do that, I want to stop into the local Kohl’s and try some on to make sure I order the right size.  If, as I mostly expect, tomorrow is too hot for pool time after I finish with my physical, I'll do that on the way home.  Otherwise, I'll do it on the way home from the transit center after work one evening this week.  I’ve put a pair of low socks out on my desk to take with me.  They’re green and grey stripes, as they should be for a proper Slytherin.

I forgot to mention yesterday – One of James’s coworkers came over for a visit and to see James’s woodwork.  I don’t know if Roman is officially non-binary or just likes long hair and nail polish.  If I actually knew him, I’d have pointed out that if he’s going to wear nail polish, he needs to keep it maintained.  Otherwise it’s tacky.  The nuisance of maintaining nail polish is one of the reasons my attempt to be girly came to an end after so little time.  That, and I couldn’t stand the high heels.  I guess I’m just not meant to be girly,, and I’m fine with that.

June 27, 2022, 07:46:41 PM
Reply #757

JudithC

« Reply #757 on: June 27, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »
My day off started with the considerable pleasure of lying in bed watching James get ready to go to work.  I got up at 7am myself, slightly earlier than I absolutely had to, because I wanted to be sure I’d have time to toast, butter, and plastic wrap an Everything round bread to take with me for after the blood draw I was sure was going to be part of my “annual” physical exam.  I put it in quotes because the last time I had anything like one was when I was still on Medicaid, which I think was about five years ago.  Medicare is a good thing.

I lost basically the whole morning to the physical adventure.  I got to the clinic earlier than I expected because of the lack of passengers who wanted that bus.  The first person who saw me was actually a student Nurse Practitioner - a very pleasant guy named Kit.  He'll be finishing his studies in August, so he was fine to get the preliminaries out of the way unsupervised.  I must have been very relaxed because my blood pressure was 122/70, down a solid ten points from last time.  Funny how that happens after I've had a couple of days off.  I was also down a couple of pounds from last time.  After my regular NP, Melissa, joined us, we talked some more about my general health, and vaccinations I should be considering, like the shingles one.  Then I showed her my bunion, and she agreed that it needs to get fixed.  She's making a referral to podiatry, who should be contacting me before the end of next week.  I'm hoping they'll be able to see me and my foot while I'm out on vacation next month, or else while I'm there anyway for my mammogram in early August.

Waiting around for the blood draw and having it done took another half hour or so.  I didn’t mind too much because at least it was in air conditioning.  Now I have a purple mark in the crook of my elbow.  If anyone says anything, I plan to kid about my track mark – which it looks nothing like, based on what I’ve seen on TV, so it should be obviously a joke.

I must have just missed a bus home because I had to wait almost an hour for the next one.  That did give me the chance to eat the round bread that was the only reason I carried a bag.  The seat in the shelter at the bus stop was in full sun, so I ended up standing in the shade for the rest of the time.  Unfortunately I was not alone.  A total stranger tried to get chatty with me, and insisted on showing me the swollen eye he had from some kind of allergic reaction.  He was wearing a t-shirt showing two stick figures, one standing and one lying down, with the caption, "I didn't hit you.  I high-fived your face."  Definitely not my kind of person.  I must have done a good job of freezing him out because he didn't bug me for long.

Since it was stupid hot, on the way home from the transit center, I went into Kohl's to interview boy's dress shoes.  There was a pair of at least a similar style to what I'll be looking for, and I verified that 5 is the correct size with very thin socks.  If the ones I end up with come in 5.5, I'll probably go for them to be sure there's plenty of toe and sock room.  I've been doing a month-long purchase diary kind of survey, and if I wait until I get credit for that, I can add it to the points I have now, it will mean another $15 to play with, and about $40 total.  Even if the shoes come via slow boat from China, they should have plenty of time to get here by November.

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching reruns of the MacGyver reboot series, which I missed a lot of the first time they aired.  It has reminded me of why I like it and the other two Peter Lenkov reboots, Magnum P.I. and Hawaii Five 0, a lot less than the originals.  Lenkov homogenized everything that made the originals unique, and made the reboots so much alike that sometimes I’m genuinely not sure which of the shows – particularly the Hawaii ones – something happened on.  Still, it’s decent background noise for doing other things and trying not to doze off because it's so freakin’ hot.  What I do find amusing is that MacGyver has a character I’m pretty sure was inspired by Hetty Lange on NCIS: LA.  That is, she’s a tough little woman boss with massive secrets in her past.  Coincidence?  I think not.

My blood work results are in.  My potassium is a little low, and my glucose is a little high, but otherwise everything looks good.  Oh, and I also got good reviews for my heart, lungs, and assorted other body sounds and functions.  I think this is where I’m allowed to feel good about my health.

June 28, 2022, 10:02:56 PM
Reply #758

JudithC

« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2022, 10:02:56 PM »
This is going to be a short update for a nothing but still exhausting day.  The whole getting up at 5:30 thing wasn’t any easier after three days of a human schedule.  In fact, if anything, it was harder.  Once again I can’t wait for retirement.

The commute to work sucked.  I managed not to be late this time – in fact, I was only four minutes later than usual – but still, it was no way to start the work.  There was one positive moment, though.  As I was getting on the bus, the driver said, “Missed you yesterday.”  I was surprised she noticed, since normally people don’t see me.

The work part of the program had a good part, too.  Larissa completely covered me for yesterday, and it was busy enough that that mattered.  I mean, I could have gotten any or all of it done today, but it was soooo good not to have to.  Unlike the rest of the staff and faculty, I thanked her.

The commute home also sucked.  It would have sucked even more if we’d been running even 39 seconds later.  There was an accident on our highway on-ramp, and as we were waiting to go by it, the ramp got closed off.  At a guess, the first-responder vehicles that could turn around and go off the ramp the wrong way were planning to do so, rather than dealing with the traffic between that ramp and the first available off-ramp.

The weather is much more pleasant today.  I expect to sleep better tonight, unless I get snored out of bed again.  I did last night, at about 3am.  Bleah.

Yesterday at 10:17:42 PM
Reply #759

JudithC

« Reply #759 on: Yesterday at 10:17:42 PM »
Here comes another short update because I’m beat.  Last night I had the bed to myself, but I had crap sleep anyway, mostly thanks to the white cats.  They misbehaved so much that eventually I threw them out of the bedroom and closed the door.

Work was slow again, though not quite as slow as yesterday.  Still, I had way too much time to read about people doing stupid things. 

Commuting was much less of an adventure. In fact, it went smoothly both ways, or at least as smoothly as traffic allowed.  On the way home, the connection lined up nicely, so I went to the bank to restock my cash.  Now that’s out of the way for another quite a while.

I’m hoping for a better night’s sleep tonight because holy cat, I need it!