Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Cat Room 2  (Read 53246 times)

June 03, 2024, 08:16:12 PM
Reply #1455

JudithC

Re: The Cat Room 2
« Reply #1455 on: June 03, 2024, 08:16:12 PM »
Last night we both went to bed at 10, and even that was a stretch for how exhausted we were. This morning I was awake enough at 7:30 to start what I hope will be my new sleep routine. For weekdays, anyway. Weekends will probably stay as they were, since I wake up James when I go downstairs, and even when he’s not up all night, he is up for enough of it to need the extra hour of sleep.

I've done the trying on part of the bottoms project (and now I need more shorts), and I've decided to hold off on the dismantling/sewing part until after the Temu jeans get here so I can do it all at once. (Also because the new Rizzoli & Isles book has arrived, and I want to read it first.) I do feel like I'm living dangerously ordering jeans from Temu, and I probably wouldn't be that adventurous if the ones I ordered didn't have an elasticized waist - something I only buy for sitting around clothes so I can indulge my laziness by not having to deal with fastenings when I need the loo. This time they specified Asian sizes, with measurements showing when you mouse-over, and I ordered the XL, which looked close enough. I expect to have to shorten the legs because that's just a fact of life, but they're a cotton blend rather than all cotton so they shouldn't shrink in the wash.

I've also added another bit of sewing. We have what used to be a lovely banner of a sea goddess hanging out on the deck, but it's been out there so long it's lost a lot of its color, so I decided to replace it with an equally but differently lovely Hecate banner I found on Etsy. Unlike the existing one, the new one doesn't have a top hem that's big enough to slide a dowel through for hanging purposes, so I'm going to add some loops to the top. I have the fabric that I cut off the little black dress I shortened, and the part that forms the hem is well suited for turning into strips to make the loops from. I've done that cutting, and the pieces are in a spot where they shouldn't attract the attention of cats.

In acting news, I got confirmation that I will be involved in a “summit” for screenwriters and actors put on by the guy who did the shooter training film. He does them periodically, and this will be #7 in the series, taking place on Sunday at the same place. The writers will have shiny new scripts that we actors will cold read for them. Between now and then I need to pick up some meal replacement drinks so I can have one for breakfast before I hit the road. I’ll probably go to Target, possibly even tomorrow, because it’s close, and I can pick up some other stuff while I’m there. Like antacids, without which my nights would be much less comfortable.

June 04, 2024, 09:58:01 PM
Reply #1456

JudithC

« Reply #1456 on: June 04, 2024, 09:58:01 PM »
We had a girl cat in bed with us again last night, still transported by James. Interestingly, Albus is all right with sharing the bed with her, but Baal isn’t. Albus was the first brother Callisto got along with at all, and she is a lot bigger (fatter) than Baal, which could be an explanation for the difference in attitudes.

Purely by accident, I got a start on the sewing stuff last night. The pair of loose legging things that need the elastic detached from the waistband and shortened were on top of the sewing box, which I decided to leave upstairs until the rest of the project is ready to go, and I realized that I might as well get going on the detaching while I was watching TV upstairs. That bit is now done, and I think tonight I might start picking out stitching from the elastic in the nearly dead jeans. There are three or four rows of stitching, and I can remove most of them without making the jeans unwearable if I decide I need to wear them one more time.

For one brief, shining moment, I thought I’d found a replacement for the chest of drawers I’ve wanted to replace for years. The office sent email about a resident who was giving away a dresser, and by the pictures it was good real wood instead of composite. I called the number and caught the seller before she’d even had her morning coffee, so she said she’d call me back when she was ready for a visitor. Spoiler alert: she didn’t, and while I was waiting, I realized that it was a tossup whether the dresser would just fit or just not. Rather than pursuing her, I decided to take the no.

I’ve read the whole new Rizzoli & Isles book, and it was excellent. I wanted to tell James about it, but I realized that’s hard to do because of how late we find out why things have happened the way they did, and the actions themselves are quite complicated and interwoven. All of that is what makes the books so good, but it also makes them hard to describe.

I finally got credit for that week-long survey I submitted a week and a half ago, and I’ve redeemed my points. Now I just need to get the gift card I requested, which will hopefully happen at about the same time I put in for my next gift card from search points. Then I should be able to order the next two books without investing much real money. I’m really tempted to cut to the chase and shell out the real money for the rest of the series, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. Well, I can’t right now. We’ll see what happens when I’m actually on Amazon.

June 05, 2024, 08:05:25 PM
Reply #1457

JudithC

« Reply #1457 on: June 05, 2024, 08:05:25 PM »
Progress on the cat front continues. Yesterday evening when I went upstairs to change into PJs, Callisto was sleeping on my pillow. Then later, when I went back into the bedroom to put away my slippers because my feet were too hot, she was still there, and Albus was at the foot of the bed. For some reason Callisto left when James started getting ready for bed, but she came back once we were settled and spent the rest of the night with us. This morning, when I went upstairs to pick up the sewing stuff, I took a peek and found Callisto on my pillow and Frey on James's. Just when I think I have them figured out, they change something.

For the first time in ages, I went out for a walk wearing the army shoes. It was only a short walk, to, around, and back from Target, but still… Better than nothing. And now I have meal replacement drinks and high-protein cookies for the mornings when I need to be out of here before my stomach is awake enough for real breakfast. I also picked up some more antacids and toothpaste, since I’m approaching almost out of both. My feet were slightly sore by the end, but I might be all right for more walking tomorrow.

I’ll need to go out tomorrow for a couple of reasons. First, Colin’s check for the forest witch shoot was in today’s mail, which made me smile a lot. I’m really enjoying getting paid for what I love doing anyway. Second, I’ll be eating the last of the breakfast bread tomorrow. I’m kinda hoping for more round bread because it’s really hit the spot. I’ve realized that I need bread that doesn't last as long as a loaf because I’m bored stiff with it before it’s all gone. Maybe I should invite James to share whenever I get a loaf, since he’s a bread fan.

In a sterling example of how I suck at sticking to a plan, today I moved on with the actual sewing part of the project. It's now done except for the banner, and I might go back to it after I finish this, though with as goopy as my eyes have gotten, I may or may not be able to achieve enough clearness to be able to see the eye of a fine needle.

Both of the elasticized waistband things turned out to be more complicated than I'd anticipated because I had to go back and open up more of the waistband than would have been ideal. In one case, the area where the pockets were attached - yes, they extended up into the waistband - there were a lot of layers, and I couldn't find the right ones to feed the elastic through no matter how hard I tried, so I opened up just enough to see what I was doing. In the other, it turned out that I'd sewn together the fabric and the old elastic while performing at least one previous round of surgery, and I had to snip enough stitches so the elastic came free, and I could pull it out. Anyway, I'm back to wearing the trousers I'd been wearing, and they feel a world better with functioning elastic.

June 06, 2024, 08:18:38 PM
Reply #1458

JudithC

« Reply #1458 on: June 06, 2024, 08:18:38 PM »
I’m getting used to rising and (maybe) shining an hour earlier. Then again, on James work days, I’m awake earlier than that because of his alarms. Last night I did fall asleep in front of the TV close enough to bedtime that I missed the end of what I was watching and accidentally found myself at the beginning of the next thing. No big deal, though, since these days everything’s in reruns anyway.

Last night/this morning Callisto decided she wanted to sleep on my pillow, which got very crowded. With Baal I can just shove him over, but she's a lot heavier and also much more inclined to dig in with her claws. We may need to have a chat about sleeping arrangements before I end up with a terribly stiff neck.

I got myself out to the bank and Safeway, but I didn’t have the patience to deal with shoes that might fight back, so I wore the old floppy ones. Interestingly, the teller tried briefly to steer me in the direction of a credit card I’ve been pre-approved for, but I really don’t need more plastic. For some reason he also wouldn’t let me do a partial deposit and partial cash back with the check, so I had to deposit the whole thing and then do a separate withdrawal. Oh, well. It worked out the same in the end.

Since I was right there anyway, on my way back I stopped into PetSmart to see if they’d gone back to having adoptable cats. They didn’t, but I got some puppy love from two sweet dogs. One was overly enthusiastic and kind of an attention hog, so I had to put some effort into making sure the other got her share of the attention.

At Safeway, the “oops, we baked to much” rack wasn’t out, so I ended up going to the bakery proper, where it was behind the counter. I asked about it, and the person who was supposed to have put it out admitted that she’d forgotten. She waited to move it all the way to where it belonged until after I’d made my selection – cheddar/jalapeño round bread. I’d have preferred more onion ones, but these will do, and with only six of them, my mouth won’t have a chance to get bored.

The sewing is all done except for anything the jeans that aren't here yet need. I love the way the new banner looks, though I had to apply some glue stick under the fabric loops to keep them from migrating in toward the center because of the wind. And it's such a joy to be able to wear the pants I have on without constantly needing to hike them up.

June 07, 2024, 09:16:36 PM
Reply #1459

JudithC

« Reply #1459 on: June 07, 2024, 09:16:36 PM »
I don’t know how much of an update this is going to be. It’s been a very quiet day because I failed to find anything to do with myself besides reading news stories that irritated me, followed by sets of comic strips that relieved some of the irritation. I actually found some that were in no way political, which made a pleasant change.

I got an extra James-free night last night because he had today off to balance out a day he worked but forgot to enter his hours for. Yeah, I don't know how he managed that either. It did mean having him home for a big chunk of the day, before he decided to go spend time with Julie. She is doing well enough to move out of assisted living and into a kind of women's group home, where she'll have people nearby if she needs a bit of support without having caregivers constantly in her face. Hopefully just having people there will be enough to keep her honest when it comes to taking care of herself.

Today would have been great for pool time if it had opened that little bit earlier. I saw someone from the county health department doing the annual inspection, and we must have passed because the office sent email about Monday's opening. I gave in and told them that if anyone's pool buddy does a no show, and I'm around, they can call on me. The opportunity for that will be limited because on James work nights, I go upstairs at 8, and the pool doesn't close until 9. Most of the rain is now out of the forecast, with the exception being next weekend, and that far out the forecast is unlikely to be accurate.

I’ve heard from the folks who did the study that involved repeatedly playing drunk and trying to buy a joint several months ago. This time they should be appraising pot shops in areas I can get to, so I’ve signed myself up again. I’m hoping to work with the same partner because we had a good dynamic going. This iteration of the project will be July 10-13, which is wide open on my schedule. Thankfully, this time the days will be long enough for us not to be hanging out in skeevy neighborhoods in the dark.

A couple of days ago, James noticed a star chip in the window behind the couch. Since technically it’s outside the walls, I emailed to find out if the condominium might be responsible for the repair. Alas, they’re not. James will be doing the research to get it fixed, but I might end up paying for it because I have the money. I just hope the $1,000 estimate I found at the one place I looked at online is not typical.

June 08, 2024, 09:49:21 PM
Reply #1460

JudithC

« Reply #1460 on: June 08, 2024, 09:49:21 PM »
Not much to update about today. I slept well, thanks in part to some adult beverage, but I might have been a bit hung over when I woke up. I definitely didn’t want to get up, though the cuddly Albus could have had something to do with that. Then he drooled on me, and my bladder chimed in, and I was up.

The one thing I accomplished was laundry and changing the bed. We’ll be sleeping on the Hogwarts sheet set plus my extra Slytherin pillowcase. Slytherin pride, yeah! Every time we use those sheets, I’m reminded why I don’t like them. The fabric doesn’t breathe, so I end up too hot, and it’s very slippery, so whatever is on top of them (in this case, the comforter) tends to try to slide off.

Between high pollen count and higher humidity, I’ve spent most of the day feeling groggy. Also, my eyes have been bothering me, mostly because of that high pollen count. At times I've had to think myself into crying just to clear them. I think the cats must have allergies too because they are all goopier when the pollen count is high. Or maybe it's a case of that much crap in the air causing reactions whether or not we're allergic to it. Oddly, both Albus and I have goopier left eyes.

Even though I’m sleepy now, I’ll still be eating half a funky pretzel before I go to bed tonight because once I’m lying down with nothing else to do with my brain, I’m bound to get wound up over tomorrow’s acting gig. I really need to be fully awake and energized for it so I can make a good impression on film folks who might want to cast me in something.

June 09, 2024, 08:26:24 PM
Reply #1461

JudithC

« Reply #1461 on: June 09, 2024, 08:26:24 PM »
Morning started about half an hour earlier than my new usual. Thankfully, it didn’t take much effort to get James to vacate the couch and go to bed, so I got in some pre-departure computer time and cleared out part of my morning routine. I drank a meal replacement drink before I left and took a high-protein cookie with me.

The trip took less time than I’d expected, given how much waiting time between forms of transportation there tends to be on Sundays. The weather was beautiful, so standing outside wasn’t the least bit burdensome. I did meet an annoying woman who decided we were best buddies at first contact. I have a bunch of odd lapel pins on the flaps of the upper pockets of my green denim jacket, and she failed to read the words on several of them, much less get the point of the words. Fortunately, when the light rail came, she headed in one direction in the car, and I headed in the other.

The writer/actor summit got a good crowd. I was wearing my ADAM WAS THE BETA VERSION. EVE WAS THE FINISHED PRODUCT. T-shirt, and several people appreciated it. I didn't think the scripts were as brilliant as Vincent seemed to, but they were still fun to read. Now I'm thinking seriously of trying to convert my short stage play to a movie script if I can find a proper formatting tool online, or even something to show me an exact format.

Anyway, I didn't get to do all that much reading, but one of the writers must have liked what she saw because we chatted a bit, and she said something about having roles for me. I gave her one of my cards, and we'll see if she gets in touch. It would be nice if the summit did lead to future work. One of the other actors was also union, and he commented on how thin the market was these days, and how agents tended to be unresponsive to inquiries because they are already representing more people than they can hope to find work for. It's a shame, but I'll keep on doing what I've been doing and promoting myself as best I can.

While I was in the area, I visited the customary pod of food carts. Once again, I was disappointed that the carts I wanted most to visit were closed. I ended up getting chicken vindaloo from an Indian food cart. Next time I might try the falafel at the cart next to them. I had time to stuff some of the vindaloo into my face while I waited for the light rail, and it was disappointingly lacking in attitude. Or I can try asking for it hot and see what happens.

On the way home, I ran into the same annoying woman, and this time she wanted me to explain my lapel pins to her. Um… no. Her nose must have been horribly out of joint because later, when I tried to give her directions to her next bus, she told me to shut up. OK, fine. She got directions from the guy driving the bus I needed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she still got lost, even though the stop would have been visible as long as she walked in the right direction.

I got home and found email with the link to online checkin for my appointment tomorrow morning. I am totally not in the mood, but it has to be done sometime soon, so I’ll push myself. As soon as I’ve posted this, I think I’m going to get out another cookie to take with me for breakfast after the inevitable blood draw. Or I might see if I have time to toast, butter, and wrap up a round bread, since I tend to prefer something savory for breakfast. I can play that by ear when I see how ambitious I am in the morning, since I’m the opposite of a morning person.

June 10, 2024, 08:27:30 PM
Reply #1462

JudithC

« Reply #1462 on: June 10, 2024, 08:27:30 PM »
Last night I ended up sleeping in the new-cat room. James was having one of those nights when he just couldn’t stop making random noises. When I found myself unable to relax because I was listening for the next noise, I gave up and moved. Hopefully tonight will be better.

My "fun" for the day was my annual checkup. I can't say I'm all that impressed with my primary care guy, though he's pleasant enough. This was the first time we met in person, since last year was before the previous gal moved elsewhere. The good news is that all of my parts seem to be working, and my bloodwork didn't have any surprises. I did lose a few pounds since last year, which was unexpected.

After I was done there, I got out only to find that I'd missed the bus by a few minutes, and it only runs once an hour. I ended up walking back as far as the transit center, which was about three miles. That's not all that far, but too much of it was uphill, particularly toward the end, and my back was killing me, and I was terribly overheated. Happily, I was just in time to catch the bus that stops across the street from home, and I even got lucky with the light at the corner before the stop turning red, so the bus driver could let me out there, which was closer to home than the stop.

I went straight upstairs, removed most of my clothing, and stretched out on the bed to cool down. I rather wished we had a hammock so I could get air on all sides at once. Typically, just as I'd decided I was ready to get up, Albus decided to get cuddly. He drooled on my shoulder, and freeing up part of the top of the sheet to dry the drool disturbed him enough to interrupt the cuddle, so I was able to get up. I took a naproxen for my back, and had half of what was left of yesterday's vindaloo for lunch. It was less disappointing than I remembered, but if I get it again, I should still ask them to increase the spice.

The package with my new indoor jeans arrived, and they're as close to perfect as I'm likely to find. They're a bit longer than ideal but not enough to warrant shortening, and a bit snugger than I'd have chosen but not enough to be uncomfortable. They came with a drawstring in the waist, but for once it was one of those that can just be pulled out, and I did. It was a Temu order, and to fill in the rest of the $15 minimum for free shipping, I also ordered a better garment bag for the uniform, little suction cup feet for the laptop so air can circulate under it, and a box of those things with dental floss at one end and a pick at the other in the hope of tricking myself into flossing while my hands are bored in front of the upstairs TV.

I have another Temu order coming: a Star Wars themed pocket watch that also plays music.  It is amazingly cool. James was admiring it but decided to be good and not buy it, so I encouraged him to be good, and as soon as he left the room, I ordered it for him. That’s how I get around having so much trouble coming up with interesting gifts for him. I might pretend to be observing hobbit gifting rules and give it to him for my birthday.

June 11, 2024, 08:24:52 PM
Reply #1463

JudithC

« Reply #1463 on: June 11, 2024, 08:24:52 PM »
Not much to update about today. I did sleep better last night, possibly because I was so tired that I kept falling asleep in front of the TV, and I had the whole night in the bed. For a while it was pretty crowded because James brought Callisto upstairs and hid her from the white cats, so we temporarily had a three-cat bed.

My only real accomplishment was getting out to pick up my pill refills, and it was really nice to be back at my old pharmacy, not to mention having all four prescriptions 100% covered by insurance.

The weather did me the favor of being mostly cloudy and cool for most of the day. That's a favor because my face and neck got slightly overcooked during yesterday's walk, and not being tempted to go out to the pool anyway was a good thing. I'm hoping for maybe some pool time tomorrow.

Today's delivery was the package with the shorts in it. Both pairs fit great, but they're going to have to go through the wash before I wear them because they reek of sizing. Hopefully washing it out won't turn them into one giant wrinkle. One pair had an odd tie-looking thing sewn on the front, kind of like a mock drawstring but not drawing anything, and nowhere near long enough to go all the way around my waist. The only thing I could figure was that maybe it was supposed to be tied in a bow for decoration even though it wasn't really decorative. I cut it off, and I'm keeping it because it's long enough to be useful for something. The filling out the $15 minimum item in this package was more envelopes of the size I use for my HOA dues checks. Now I have enough for the next several years.

June 12, 2024, 07:41:07 PM
Reply #1464

JudithC

« Reply #1464 on: June 12, 2024, 07:41:07 PM »
I don’t know how much of an update this is going to be because I mostly failed to accomplish anything. I did get myself out for a walk, partly because I needed to pick up some food for lunch and dinner. For the first time in ages, I went to the teriyaki place for some hot and spicy chicken, which turned out to be disappointingly bland. I fixed it with some hot sauce, but that’s not the way it’s supposed to work.

Last night to my great irritation, my laptop decided that it didn't want to start up. I called in the tech support husband, who did some poking around and reached the conclusion that it was probably having a memory error. (Aren't we all?) At first he said he'd take it to work for further analysis and fixing, but then he realized that today he was scheduled for offsite stuff for most of the day, and he'd just cede the downstairs TV to me until the laptop was back in shape to drive the upstairs TV. Then we went to bed and both were unable to get to sleep because of the squirrels in our heads. He took his squirrels downstairs, and I hit mine with the second half of a funky pretzel.

This morning I came down and found the laptop on the printer table and email from him, letting me know that since he'd been unable to sleep, he tinkered with the laptop and got it back up and running. He thinks it still needs more work, which he'll take care of on a day he expects to have the time at work, but that's more to improve performance than anything else. I'm trusting him to the point that I haven't even tried turning it on yet. This evening he'll be helping Julie move, so I should be able to postpone the inevitable for one more day.

Between one thing and another, I haven't yet managed any pool time. I know - it's only been three days, but still... So far mornings have been cool and overcast, and by the time the clouds completely clear off, the sun is high in the sky and too strong for my current pasty pallor. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, but after that temperatures are predicted to drop, along with rain rolling in. I'm going to try to push myself into going out for walks because the temperature will still be all right for that, not that I've been successful at that kind of plan in the past. Now that I'm getting up an hour earlier, I have that much more time to get bored if I don't find something to do, and going out for as long walks as I can stand will kill two birds with one stone.

June 13, 2024, 08:14:21 PM
Reply #1465

JudithC

« Reply #1465 on: June 13, 2024, 08:14:21 PM »
Here comes a short update for a day I’m officially considering a failure to launch. I totally failed to get myself out for a walk because I just couldn't stand the idea of going out. Then again, I was lacking in motivation for anything indoors too. I spent far too much time watching cat videos, though a case can be made for calling them an antidote to the bad mood brought on from reading too many articles about politics. Stupidity makes me cranky.

Oddly, I'm craving buying myself something, though I have no idea what. Maybe I'm turning into a Temu addict? Except when I visit Temu with nothing specific in mind, I tend to look and look and eventually get bored and give up without buying anything. OK, I fail at shopping. Better than being too successful at it, I suppose. Definitely better for the budget.

Our weather has decided that it doesn't want to be summer after all. Early this morning the heat turned on at least once. Today even in the sun in a black based t-shirt, I barely warmed up while going to fetch the mail, and when the wind kicked in, it cooled me right off. Tomorrow and most of the next week is supposed to be cool enough that tonight I'll be changing to more substantial PJs, and tomorrow I plan to wear a long-sleeved shirt with the new jeans, and probably closed shoes with socks again. Not what I expect from mid-June, for sure.

June 14, 2024, 10:13:21 PM
Reply #1466

JudithC

« Reply #1466 on: June 14, 2024, 10:13:21 PM »
I am pleased to report that the new jeans are just what I was looking for. They took a bit of getting used to because they fit differently from anything else I own, but not in a bad way. They have the classic contrasting topstitching, and I'm trying to decide if I'm finicky enough to pick it off the slits where the drawstring went and sew the slits shut with dark blue thread. The top part in general isn't exactly beautiful, and I'm planning to wear mostly shirts that don't tuck in, so it will depend on how much the slits annoy me when I uncover them to use the loo.

We might get more summer next week, or at least that's what the forecast claims. Today it managed to be sunny and warm for just long enough to overheat me when I went out for a walk in the new jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and the denim jacket. I actually toyed with the idea of trying to sneak in some pool time, which would have been silly even if it hadn't turned cloudy faster than I could have gotten changed. The high for today was only 68, and the horrible humidity made my head ache terribly. We should be back to pool weather by next Wednesday, or possibly even Tuesday, if the forecast is correct. It looks like this is the only part of the country that won't be sweltering next week.

James's watch arrived, but I didn't unpack it all the way because I want to leave that pleasure to him. I'd like to hold off on giving it to him until Sunday, when I can present it as a Father's Day gift from his hairy children. This afternoon I cleared out all my filing, and I have the watch package in the slot on my desk where the filing used to be so I won't forget about it. I can pretty much count on him not to notice.

On the subject of James, he didn't fix my laptop after all. I tried it last night, and it started up, but it mostly refused to bring up programs from the taskbar, and the one that did come up took forever. From the way he described what was going on, it was still having memory management issues. He took it to work with him today, and he called to let me know that it’s really fixed. The newest hire used to work in a mom and pop repair shop, and he figured out that my outside virus protection (AVG) was conflicting with Windows Defender, which does most of the same stuff anyway, so he removed the AVG – hopefully just the virus protection component, since it also has other components that do other things. I’ll be getting the laptop back late tonight or tomorrow, depending on how late James is out with Julie.

On the subject of Julie, she has managed to sabotage herself again. She met with the landlord of the place she was supposed to move into, and he has changed his mind about what he wants to do with the space. She can’t move back in where she was because they’re changing from assisted living to residential for people in drug recovery. Besides, they didn’t like her because she did things like looking into their finances, which must have been sketchy or they wouldn’t have cared. They are, however, paying for her to stay temporarily in a hotel. Hopefully that will last until she makes other arrangements.

She asked James if she could paid board with us, and I said no, which was the answer he was looking for, for reasons, the first of which is that I don’t want a roommate/lodger. Also, we have stairs, and she probably weighs 350 pounds and has mobility issues. Plus, the hide-a-bed would have trouble supporting her, and getting into and out of the shower would be hazardous at best. So no. James explained to her, and hopefully he didn’t turn me into a bad guy. I don’t think I am. I just didn’t work my ass off for 40+ years to have my own place and then end up with a roommate. Other than him, that is.

June 15, 2024, 08:47:06 PM
Reply #1467

JudithC

« Reply #1467 on: June 15, 2024, 08:47:06 PM »
I don’t know how much of an update this is going to be. I had trouble dragging myself out of bed, and that pretty much set the tone for the day.

My one accomplishment for the day was laundry, and there wasn’t even much of that. I knew James was having a rough week, but I didn’t realize how rough until I saw how little he had in the hamper box. He came upstairs to take a shower and change clothes, and when he found Frey lying on his pillows, he lay down just in time to be in the way of me folding his shirts. That’s called helping like a cat.

Our hinky forecast was claiming that it was raining when it was plainly bright and sunny, but it's still only 60, so not what I'd call pool weather though some crazy kids were out there when it was only in the mid-50s. Better them than me - now, anyway. Family legend has it that when I was their age, I'd claim not to be cold while my lips were blue, and my teeth were chattering.

The laptop is home again, and it passed the quick test I gave it. It will get more of a workout tomorrow evening, when I go for my usual last few hours of watching TV upstairs. Just so James won't feel left out, he's now having email issues. Email sent from his gmail account got blocked by the mail server for my Comcast account. I did a bit of testing, and my gmail account gets blocked, too. I suggested that it was a job for Comcast support.

I hope they haven't suddenly decided to block gmail, considering how popular it is for  free email accounts. It’s also how I’ve been getting photos off my phone, but as long as I can do the send part, it won’t much matter if they don’t arrive because I can access gmail from my computer and save the attachments from there. And for the record, “ask Xfinity” is useless because it doesn’t actually answer questions.

June 16, 2024, 08:07:04 PM
Reply #1468

JudithC

« Reply #1468 on: June 16, 2024, 08:07:04 PM »
This morning was another rough one for getting out of bed. For some reason I didn’t want to face any other human being, including James. Albus having the typically great timing of deciding to lie on top of me just when I’d made up my mind to get up didn’t help. I hate disturbing him, but in the end I had to because it was time to feed every-furry-body.

Today's weather has been less putrid than predicted, though still not pool weather. For the first time in ages, I felt inspired to go out for a walk so I went to PetSmart, which is how Albus got his first wet food as part of my Evil Plan[TM] to put some weight on him. I even made the sun come out by not taking my sunglasses.

That led naturally into today's cat crisis: Albus getting special food. Baal had a lot to say about that! Albus inhaled his first half-can of wet food, but I'm going to have to shut him in the downstairs loo going forward, and I'm hoping that the plastic lid I put on the other half-can will keep the smell in so Baal won't find it in the over-counter kitchen cupboard.

I've found two brands whose first several ingredients are real food stuff and aren't breathtakingly expensive. There's a 10¢ per can difference in price, so unless he shows a marked preference, I'll get the cheaper brand. It might sound silly, but the difference adds up over time, and I'll probably be getting it for him for the rest of his life, which will hopefully be for at least a few more years. The good news for me is that if he imitates my bestie’s cat and decides he doesn't like a flavor, there are three other cats who'll be glad to have it.

Yesterday at 09:06:33 PM
Reply #1469

JudithC

« Reply #1469 on: Yesterday at 09:06:33 PM »
Not much to update about. Today's weather has been the worst we've had in a while. It's been chilly and raining on and off all day, and when it was not raining, it was so muggy that I wished it would rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be a few degrees warmer and get more sun, but probably still not pool weather. I got in the short walk to Safeway for more breakfast bread and half & half, and while I was there, I got myself some peach and lime (separately) popsicle things. The new breakfast bread is blueberry bagels because they tickled my fancy.

Baal found and swiped the open half can from the cupboard. Brat. I found the plastic lid on the counter below the cupboard and the polished clean tin by my desk in the living room. Either he and the other cats did a perfect job of cleanup or he even managed to get the tin to land right way up because there was no mess at all.

Going forward I'll be putting the second half can in a drawer on the other side of the kitchen. The drawer far outweighs Baal, so even if he figures out that's where the yummy stuff is, he won't be able to pull it out. I just hope he doesn't try to claw his way in. The bathroom experiment was a success in spite of both Baal's and Frey's best efforts. I just need to make sure I'm listening for Albus asking to be let out. Fortunately, one of the last things I do before going out is use the facilities, so I don't need to worry about shutting him in for hours.

Tomorrow I'll be going for a can of each of the flavors of the brand of choice to see if there are any Albus doesn't like. Once we've determined that, I'll be able to lay in more of a stock and reduce the trips to the store. My plan is to keep Albus on half a can a day for about a week, to give his insides a chance to adjust, and then increase him to a whole can. Hopefully that will put some weight on him.