Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Cat Room 2  (Read 57116 times)

July 03, 2024, 08:03:44 PM
Reply #1485

JudithC

Re: The Cat Room 2
« Reply #1485 on: July 03, 2024, 08:03:44 PM »
Here comes a short update for another depression day. When I got up, it was chilly enough that I almost put on slippers and a long-sleeved shirt. It might have hit the predicted high of 81, but inside out of the sun it sure didn’t feel like it, particularly not when I finally opened the deck door and got the breeze blowing in.

Among other things, the depression has been undermining my confidence and making me reluctant to do next week’s pot shops because I'm not sure I can, even though I did them before successfully. I'm hoping that time out by the pool, soaking up sun and soaking in water, will improve my mood, at least somewhat.

Last night when I went for a frozen lime pop, I realized that I should have bought more yesterday. I'm down to my last two, and I totally forgot to get more while I was out shopping. Now I'll have to find time for that early in the day, before it gets hot enough to melt them between the store and home.

My social security payment hit today. It’s been long enough since the last time it didn’t arrive before the end of the previous month that I’d actually set myself an Outlook reminder so if it hadn’t hit today, I’d have gotten online and looked at my account to make sure I hadn’t been hacked and the $$$ diverted elsewhere. Anyway, it made my checking account balance high enough that I was able to send off the second half of my annual IRA contribution, so that’s out of the way.

July 04, 2024, 09:16:22 PM
Reply #1486

JudithC

« Reply #1486 on: July 04, 2024, 09:16:22 PM »
This is going to be a short update for sure. It was kind of like we fast forwarded to Sunday, but without the relief of James going out for office hours at the coffee shop. Instead he spent at least half the day doing floor naps. I predict that I’ll end up sleeping in the new-cat room because he’s tossing and turning too much, unable to sleep because he did so much of that during the day.

I decided not to go out to the pool because I figured that all the folks who are usually out there early on weekends would be there today. Well, people didn’t materialize until well after it was too late for me and my routine. I’m hoping to do better tomorrow.

Early this morning, while James was out getting breakfast, I set the air conditioning so it would come on automatically when the temperature in the hall hit 78. Maybe an hour ago, it came on for the first time. I couldn’t feel the cool air coming out, but fortunately it moves one of the easiest sets of blinds for me to see so I knew to close the deck door. No point in cooling the great outdoors.

Albus must be feeling the heat more than I am. He devoured his morning food while it was still cool inside, but he left a lot of his second serving, and when I saw him eating dry food and offered him the can, he only ate a few bites. I plan to offer him the rest shortly before I go upstairs for the night, and Baal will get whatever he leaves. It’s likely to be more than I’d prefer to give Baal, but somebody should get to enjoy it.

July 05, 2024, 08:57:04 PM
Reply #1487

JudithC

« Reply #1487 on: July 05, 2024, 08:57:04 PM »
Here comes another probably short update as the depression lingers on. And on and on. I was actually not tired for a change, after repeatedly dozing off in front of the TV last night and then sleeping well in spite of the accidental mini-naps. By bedtime, the temperature had dropped enough to be good for sleeping, and I’m hoping it will do the same tonight.

Our heat has hit, and we got to trigger temperature for the AC at about noon. I ended up not getting pool time because I woke up with my insides doing things that didn't belong in a public pool. I managed to force my breakfast round bread into my face, but it took until about 2:30 before I was settled enough for a small lunch. I'm on my own for dinner, which will also be small. I'm hoping Monday will be better. As it is, I need to get out to Petsmart first, since by the end of pool time, it will probably be too hot for a walk. They open at 9, so I can be there and back by 10 when the pool opens.

Albus is definitely a better trenchercat in the morning. I just need to head him off before he gets into the dry food because I'd rather he put his appetite to use on the wet food first, and fill in any empty places with the dry. I think he might also like having company while he eats. Today I gave him the first portion in the bowl, but since then, as I've noticed him looking for food, I've been pulling the can out of the drawer and putting it and him on the kitchen counter, and standing there with him while he eats so Baal doesn't jump up on the counter with him. I don't mind giving him the attention when I'm home and not really doing anything else. I just hope he'll be OK with eating on his own on days when I have to be elsewhere and James is feeding him.

I’ve dropped out of doing the pot shops. We got a general scheduling email from the people responsible for the whole thing, and the first thing I noticed was that I’d have to make a special trip into Portland – three hours round trip – for a one-hour training review and tablet pickup, instead of doing the review on Zoom and the pickup at the beginning of the first evening of shops. Then, while I was creating a phone contact for the organizers, I had a sensationally bad feeling about the whole thing. Historically, if I ignore that kind of feeling, I’m sorry, so I decided to drop out. It would have been good money, but not if something is going to go sideways, which in the sketchy kind of neighborhoods they sent us to last time could easily happen.

July 06, 2024, 09:45:56 PM
Reply #1488

JudithC

« Reply #1488 on: July 06, 2024, 09:45:56 PM »
It’s short update time because fatigue has eaten my brain. Last night was one of those when the squirrels in my head wouldn't turn off. At about 1:30 I decided I'd been stubborn long enough, and I got up and ate half a pretzel, but it can take an hour to kick in, and then I woke up again at about 7. I didn't get up until 8:30 because being horizontal was so comfortable, but still that didn’t add up to enough sleep.

The excitement of the day was laundry. Really. The rest of the day was that boring. Callisto decided to help me change the bed, starting by refusing to get off the comforter, even when I threw all the loose parts over her. Eventually I pulled it out from under her, but she only moved as far as the head of the bed. She tried to stay there while I put the clean bottom sheet on, though she got the hint when I gave her a gentle shove and told her to move her butt.

The pool has been very busy and loud all day – no big surprise, considering that it’s been hot enough for our AC to kick in starting at about 10:30am. Our high temperatures are supposed to be in the upper 90s through Tuesday, and then drop about ten degrees. I certainly hope the drop happens because I can’t handle the heat, and I don’t want to be stuck indoors forever. Also, I think the heat is getting to Albus in spite of the AC. He’s been kind of off his feed today, and that’s not good for the skinny old man.

July 07, 2024, 08:40:40 PM
Reply #1489

JudithC

« Reply #1489 on: July 07, 2024, 08:40:40 PM »
I had a better night last night, thankfully, because I couldn't have stood another night like the night before last. In fact, I was kind of ready to get up earlier than I had to, though I didn't.

The cats are all somewhat off their feed, which makes me feel better about Albus being less interested in his wet food. Still, I'd be happier if he ate more because he needs it. I've been giving him another go at the can whenever he goes into the kitchen, and that seems to be working somewhat.

I've looked at chewy.com, which I keep seeing advertised, and I might order from them after tomorrow's purchase. They don't have the brand I've been feeding Albus, but they do have the one that was my second choice because of price, and if I'm calculating correctly, their price per can for a multi-pack with the right three flavors is better than either of the single can prices at Petsmart.

It's too late to order and have the food arrive in time, and also I want to look at Petsmart's price for multi-packs if they have them, plus figuring out the shipping charge for chewy.com to see what that does to the price. If nothing else, I can place a big first order because there's a discount for orders above a certain amount, and also free shipping on the first order, and then see what happens to the cost of future orders later.

I'm very much looking forward to James being back at work tomorrow. The holiday last week threw me off to start with, and then he spent more time than usual at home both yesterday and today. I know it's his home too, but the constant interruptions no matter what I was doing got on my nerves terribly.

I'd be happier if I didn't have to make the Petsmart run tomorrow, but I do because it wouldn't be fair to Albus to make him do without his food after getting him used to having it. My plan is to do my usual morning bathroom routine instead of waiting until after pool time to shower because the way it's been, the odds are even that it will already be too hot for me by the time the pool opens. I'm very much looking forward to the temperature drop that's supposed to happen on Wednesday, and I hope it actually happens.

July 08, 2024, 07:30:00 PM
Reply #1490

JudithC

« Reply #1490 on: July 08, 2024, 07:30:00 PM »
Last night’s sleep was good again, though Callisto got stuck sleeping on top of the covers last night because I did. She only seemed to mind when I came to bed and pushed her out of the way of where my feet needed to go. Albus got cuddly for a while, and he managed not to drool on me, which is always a plus.

We were already at 71 when I turned my computer on at about 9 this morning, so I knew pool time would be out. We're now looking at a high of 99 for today and tomorrow. It will only get down to the mid-60s at night, but after the high 90s during the day, that feels positively cool. It's definitely cool enough to open the window and get some breeze. I've replaced the comforter with the summer blanket, since even when it cools down enough outside to warrant some covers, the comforter is too much.

The Petsmart run is done, and it wasn't as bad as all that. On my way to the gate I bumped into somebody I hadn't seen in a while and her dog. It had been long enough that the dog didn't remember me and took a while to stop barking and chill enough for me to give her some love. Silly beast. By the walk home it was uncomfortably hot, and I was glad to get back indoors.

I decided to skip the Safeway part of the trip, partly because of how heavy the cat food bag was and partly because I was concerned about the limesickles melting even in that short time. I might make Safeway its own trip tomorrow, or maybe wait until Wednesday when the temperature is supposed to drop. I can't really wait any longer than that because I'll be out of half & half again.

Apparently I've been on Chewy before, though I have no recollection of a previous order, because I couldn't use the new customer discount code. So annoying. There was also an account set up using my email address, which was odd because it didn't use any of my usual passwords. I emailed to see if they have information about the previous order, since it doesn't show in my order history, and to my complete lack of surprise, the response was about today’s order, because these days literacy is not a requirement for customer service.

I've placed a food order, plus a toy that filled in the last $3ish to get me to the minimum for free shipping. Chewy does autoship, but I don't know if they'd let me pick the interval. The default was every four weeks, which would be too often for the amount I ordered. If they'll let me do every five weeks, I might go for it. That is, if I'm happy with how the whole ordering and delivery process goes. I hope I am because it's a big difference in cost.

I'm going back to consistently serving Albus in the loo, partly because it's the coolest room in here and partly because it means I don't have to stand by him while he eats. Now I just have to remember to let him out... I find it hilarious how much more interested he is in the last serving after I've made it soupier and start dividing it among the bowls. It’s like the prospect of sharing fires up his appetite.

July 09, 2024, 08:11:28 PM
Reply #1491

JudithC

« Reply #1491 on: July 09, 2024, 08:11:28 PM »
Last night was another night of sleeping on top of the covers, but at least the sleep was good. Our forecast predicted rain for about an hour and then changed its mind. I was glad to see that because it meant not having to sleep with one ear open in case I’d have to get up and close the window to keep the rain from coming in.

After I gave Albus his second serving of wet food this morning, I forgot about him until he started banging on the door, poor cat. He did eat more than he did of yesterday's second serving, so maybe he ate from boredom like humans do. If the heat makes the cats sleep more and do less, it makes sense that they'd be less inclined to eat. We'll see what happens tomorrow, when it's supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler.

My shopping trip almost didn't happen. I woke up feeling lightheaded and slightly queasy, and even after breakfast settled some of that, I couldn't stand the idea of going out again. That made somewhat more sense after I realized that it had been a week since the last time I had a whole day to myself. Then, at about 11, I was so bored that I decided to go out anyway. It was a hot walk, but I was wearing a tank top and shorts, and I clipped my hair all the way up, which made it tolerable.

The first thing I looked for at Safeway was half & half, and again they were completely out of stock for my usual brand. Rather than paying extra, I decided to try Target, which had both the half & half and my limecicles. And lemoncicles because I decided to get both citrus flavors. Then I walked home extra fast so nothing would melt in transit. I think from now on I'm going to make Target my first stop for those items because it's closer, and I'm pretty sure the prices are better.

As it turned out, I did use Chewy in 2018, as the person who actually took the time to look discovered. The whole experience turned into a lot more of an adventure than it needed to be. As I mentioned in yesterday's entry, the first response was about the order I placed yesterday, which was specifically not what I'd asked about. I sent back a rather cranky email explaining again.

The response to that asked me to send a picture of the promotion I was told I couldn't use. When I went back on the site, I noticed that the promotion code was different, so I tried canceling my order and re-entering it, hoping to use the new code. To my great annoyance, the price of the food had increased... and I wasn't allowed to use the second promotion code either.

So I emailed back with pictures of both promotion codes and explaining what had happened. That's when I got a response from someone who had a brain and a bit of authority. He was the one who uncovered the 2018 purchase. He also gave me 10% off my order, which he had to place for me because for some reason the site wouldn't let me complete the order myself.

While all that was going on, I ordered the food on Amazon, which has comparable prices. With both orders coming, I'm going to have enough food for a couple of months. When I get near the end of that, I'll decide where to place my next order. A lot depends on how the delivery process goes.

July 10, 2024, 07:58:04 PM
Reply #1492

JudithC

« Reply #1492 on: July 10, 2024, 07:58:04 PM »
Not much to update about today. My sleep last night was good again, though still on top of the covers. I expect that to change tonight. I also half expect to have a bad night, since I can’t remember the last time I had three good nights in a row. My eyes are more consistent than that, with the goop continuing for I can’t remember how long, so definitely more than three days.

It has been such a relief having James not here during the day. This morning's pool time, my first in too long, was absolutely glorious! The temperature was just right to encourage me to get into the water and swim my laps to cool off, and the water was perfect for cooling off without getting chilled.

Hopefully the rest of the forecast is accurate because it will keep me going out there the way I should. Our highs are supposed to hover in the mid- to upper 80s, which means minimal use of the AC but probably keeping the door closed for most of the day to retain the coolth. Since I'll be the only one to suffer if it gets too hot, I'll probably be pushing the envelope for how long to wait to start the AC.

I got a reminder that I needed to measure the space our freezer will go into when/if we get one. Now I just need to try to find one of the right size and in the right configuration. I have a feeling that finding one that opens from the front might turn out to be a challenge.

The Temu order with the monitor wipes arrived, and I’ve wiped my computer monitor, the downstairs TV screen, and the reading glasses I keep on my computer table. There’s one small part of the TV screen that needs more attention because it has spots of something that’s hard to remove, and also hard to see from a distance so I didn’t notice it wasn’t completely gone until I was back on the couch. I have one more wipe out by my phone so I won’t forget to take it upstairs to use on my laptop screen. I’ll also check the upstairs TV to see if it needs wiping, too.

July 11, 2024, 08:26:42 PM
Reply #1493

JudithC

« Reply #1493 on: July 11, 2024, 08:26:42 PM »
Unfortunately, I was right about not having a third good night in a row. I wound up in the new-cat room because James was making a racket, and he was too deeply asleep to respond to being poked. On the bright side, I didn’t lose as much sleep as I usually do when I have to move because it became clear very early on that I was going to have to.

Getting set up was a bit more of a production than usual because I needed to open the window at the end with the vertical blind control rod, which meant moving the end table, opening the window, opening the blinds so the slats were shielded from the breeze blowing in, putting the end table back, and then blocking the door so it wouldn’t blow closed. Hopefully tonight will not be a replay.

I got in more lovely pool time. It was actually a bit chilly with the wind when I went out there, but I’d rather start out chilly and warm up to comfortable that start out comfortable and warm up to roasting. By the time I left, there were a couple of other people in the pool, but they were quiet and kept their floats on their side. I could get used to daily pool time as long as the weather stays the same.

The temperature is currently 83, and it doesn’t look like we’re going to get to the predicted high of 87. It's definitely hot in the sun, but there's a nice breeze blowing, and the sun has long since moved past our windows, making kind of a moat of shade. I've been totally comfortable with the deck door and the window behind me open.

The bedroom window is open, but I haven't opened the new cat room window that's easy to reach yet. The vertical blind control rod is at the other end, and the only way I can keep the slats at the easy end from slapping around until they fall out is by tying all the ones that slap together into a bundle. Even so, last night before I went to bed one fell out, and I had to stand on the couch to be able to reach to put it back. The little hooky things the slats hang from are fine as long as the slats just hang there, but real life includes wind.

I've found us a possible freezer that should fit well in the space and doesn't cost a lot of money. It's sold by Home Depot, which has a local store. It might even be worth going to look there first because sometimes they have specials on things that aren't on the website. I wouldn't mind getting one with cosmetic issues like minor dings if it meant saving some money. After all, the only part that will be visible is the door.

July 12, 2024, 08:58:43 PM
Reply #1494

JudithC

« Reply #1494 on: July 12, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
This will probably be a short update because it was a mostly lazy day. I did get to sleep in the bed last night, which was a plus. It even got cool enough for the covers to be comfortable.

Yesterday Albus decided that he'd rather eat on the kitchen counter, at least for his evening nosh. Just when I think I've nailed down all the variables, he introduces another one. Today he happily had his first serving in the loo and made a good dent in the food. Just now he had his second serving in the loo and made more progress, but when he heard me scraping food off the sides of the can and into the center, he decided he wanted more. On the kitchen counter. Whatever it takes, I suppose.

Callisto, who gets to lick the can at the end of the day, is already developing the bad habit of yelling for it whenever she hears food sounds. I've stopped using the bowl, since mixing up the food in the can so it's easier to get lips around works fine and saves me some washing. Baal is probably disappointed, since he got to lick the bowl after Albus was done with it.

Weather wise, today is a lot like yesterday. After my pool time, I decided that I wanted to eat something other than what we had, so I went to Target and found three tolerably priced frozen things. The one I had for lunch was a slightly spicy chicken Alfredo made with rotini instead of fettuccini. I suspect I'm getting slightly dehydrated because my mouth keeps asking for more salt in things.

July 13, 2024, 08:31:58 PM
Reply #1495

JudithC

« Reply #1495 on: July 13, 2024, 08:31:58 PM »
Here comes what’s likely to be another short update. Even laundry didn’t take long, and I had nothing else lined up to do.

The cat food order from Chewy was delivered yesterday. Considering that the order only got placed on Tuesday, I call that good. Then the Amazon order arrived today, without warning. They managed to separate the cat food from the stupid thing, also a pet supply, that I ordered to bring the total to the $35 minimum for free shipping. I don't understand the point of having the minimum and then dividing the order so each thing being shipped is less than the minimum, but what do I know? Of course they shipped the stupid thing first, or I'd have cancelled it after they shipped the food. Anyway, it's looking like Chewy is the way to go in spite of the original kerfluffle, because I can order exactly what I need.

Today, for the first time since the temperature dropped, I've had to close up and turn on the AC. I don't expect it to kick in much, since in an hour or so we'll hit the high temperature for the day, and it shouldn't take long after that for us to be back in the open windows range. Having the deck door closed isn’t an entirely bad thing since it blocks most of the noise from the pool.

Albus isn’t eating well at all. In fact, he’s hardly eating. After he barely ate any of the last serving in the bathroom, I was going to try again with him on the counter, but he disappeared. He probably went upstairs to lie on the bed again, since he’s been sleeping there a lot. I’ll have to try again later and hope for the best.

I got so bored that I went upstairs and tackled part of the James office closet. I went through all the sleeveless tops, many of which were super cheap silk from ages ago, and ended up getting rid of a couple of them plus several vests and a dress I never wear because the elastic shirring that was the only thing giving it shape died, and there's really no practical way to replace it. After I finished that, I was slightly lightheaded from repeatedly lowering and raising my head, so I didn't try to do any more. Sadly, one top that no longer fits is one with a sequined front I really liked, but I couldn't see any way to enlarge it since the back has metallic threads woven into the fabric. If the back were plain black, I might have tried adding a panel, but there's no way to make that look intentional.

July 14, 2024, 08:41:41 PM
Reply #1496

JudithC

« Reply #1496 on: July 14, 2024, 08:41:41 PM »
This is going to be a short update for sure. I’ve been mostly a lazy lump. Well, I’ve also been fighting a headache and goopy eyes from allergies, but that’s hardly an excuse.

Weather wise, it’s been a lovely day. A lot seems to depend on the wind. On the one hand it keeps the air moving and cooler if the base temperature isn't too high, but on the other hand it blows in the too hot air and heats up the indoors if the base temperature is through the roof. Right now we're at the high of 90 outside, but inside is staying right at the trigger temp for the AC, so sitting on the couch with the deck door open is comfortable.

It's supposed to get hotter - possibly up to 95 on Tuesday - and then gradually cool off heading into the weekend and the beginning of next week. I'm trying to coordinate with a photographer to get new headshots done, and it will be nice if we can get together at the low point. I really need to wear shirts with at least partial sleeves to conceal my flabby arms, which are definitely not a selling point for anyone wanting to hire me.

The only activity of the day was a zoom with the esoteric Christian folks. We’ll be doing a virtual Retreat next month, and the session was for dealing with some of the nuts and bolts like planning the schedule, as well as addressing some of the complications of doing a group ritual when we’re not all in the same room. We got a lot done, particularly for a group with a strong propensity for getting sidetracked.

July 15, 2024, 08:10:34 PM
Reply #1497

JudithC

« Reply #1497 on: July 15, 2024, 08:10:34 PM »
I don’t know how much of an update this is going to be. At least I got good sleep last night, and the daily fatigue hasn’t yet hit. I am hungry, though. Last night James made something that was kind of a cross between quesadillas and wraps for dinner, and they had so much stuff in them that I could only eat two of the three pieces of mine. I had the rest for lunch, and it was enough at the time, but now I’m ready for dinner.

Pool time was lovely again. Mornings seem to be settling into being cloudy first thing but clearing up by the time the pool opens. That means cool to start my pool time, which works out nicely with my age-related intolerance for heat. I remember when it didn’t bother me at all. *sigh* Some aspects of getting old really suck, though it’s still better than the alternative. Tomorrow we’re heading for a predicted high of 96, so I see AC in my future.

I decided I needed a project, so I've taken on the job of redoing the membership list for the esoteric Christian group. I'm changing it from a plain text document to an Excel spreadsheet to make the data easier to manipulate if anyone ever needs to. It's a sizable list, but it's all copy/pasting stuff from Point A to Point B, so I can do it while I'm watching TV. At some point I’m going to need to ask on the group email list for everyone to send me updates on anything that has changed since 2019, which is the date of the copy I’m working from. I know some people have done it at least once, but unfortunately the person who used to maintain the document is in such bad shape from Parkinson’s that she can’t even retrieve the file from her computer to send to me or anyone else. Like I said, some aspects of getting old suck.

July 16, 2024, 07:52:42 PM
Reply #1498

JudithC

« Reply #1498 on: July 16, 2024, 07:52:42 PM »
Today has been another quiet day, which means probably not much of an update. Last night was another good night, which if I’m working true to form does not bode well for tonight. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Sleep reminds me of sleep aids, which reminds me… The place where James buys our edibles was out of my pretzels, so he ended up getting me mints. One container is peppermint, and one is cinnamon. The lid of the peppermint container gave me a helluvan argument, and there was a ton of space in both containers, so I put the peppermint in with the cinnamon and shook the container to mix them up. Now I’ll get a surprise every evening. The mints are actually weak enough to be the right dosage, so no more cutting things in half.

No pool time for me this morning. I figured that with the temperature going up so high, it would already be too hot for me by the time the pool opened, and it was. I needed to visit the ATM and then hit Safeway, so I made that run instead.

At first I doubted my decision because it was slightly cool in the shade. Then I moved to the mostly sunny side of the street, and in less than a minute I was too hot. As soon as I got home, I turned on the AC. It hasn't run much, but since I closed up so early, it's staying nicely cool. I just need to make a quick trip across the lawn to check mail again, since it wasn't yet in when I got home.

July 17, 2024, 09:18:45 PM
Reply #1499

JudithC

« Reply #1499 on: July 17, 2024, 09:18:45 PM »
Here comes another short update for another nothing day. At least the temperature was more reasonable. I got through the whole day without even thinking about turning on the AC. Hooray for the break on the power bill.

This morning I couldn't bear the idea of going out, so I didn't. Tomorrow is the monthly Mensa breakfast, and I'm feeling the need to save up all my social for that. If it feels like it's been less than a month since the last one, that's because the last one got moved from the third to the fourth Thursday because the coordinator had a conflict. We're supposed to have three more days with temperatures in the high 80s/low 90s, and then we'll be in the high 70s for the almost a week I can see on the forecast.

I finished the bulk of the work on the membership spreadsheet last night and sent it off to my friend who’s in charge, who sent back an email of appreciation. I did have some frustration when I got a revised version of my source material, which included deleting a few former members and adding a few new ones, because for some reason either adding or deleting a row made the bar up above that displays the contents of cells for editing disappear, and I had to shut down and reopen Excel to bring it back. I don't know why that happened except Microsnot.

Since then I made a couple of tweaks, like removing the main title (because it’s the same as the filename, so it’s obvious what the sheet is) so I could freeze the row with the column headings. I also found where to make that line repeat at the top of each page of the report, for the benefit of anyone who might want the list but not be Excel proficient.