Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ilvermorny Sorting Ceremony on Pottermore now!  (Read 7023 times)

July 17, 2016, 05:58:41 PM
Reply #15

Wanderess

Re: Ilvermorny Sorting Ceremony on Pottermore now!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 05:58:41 PM »
On Pottermore, my house is Slytherin and Thunderbird!

July 17, 2016, 07:39:54 PM
Reply #16

Liz

• Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
I am a Horned Serpent!
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, LotR, Star Wars, Hunger Games, Divergent Series ... many more

July 17, 2016, 10:46:53 PM
Reply #17

Resonance

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
Update: if you're intrigued by the British and the North American houses, you may appreciate how this recent Pottermore piece about Slytherin style highlights his wand, its core, and how it became an integral part of the history of Ilvermorny, as well as reminiscing about the old familiar HP canon: https://www.pottermore.com/features/dark-treasures-of-slytherin-house
----------

Hogwarts:  I'm usually sorted SLYTHERIN. (Pottermore has placed me in all four houses, tho I feel least like Gryffindor; I tend to dwell on the cusps of categories, so one slight variation in Q or A tends to place me in a different house.  I fear I'd be a hatstall, but if the hat considered my input, I suspect I'd end up in Hufflepuff.)

Ilvermorny: This quiz seems to have less validity and reliability (in the scientific senses of those terms of art) than the Hogwarts quiz.  Taking it four times has produced three different placements, the last two feeling most apt for who I am now, decades along the journey.  Plus, the first result included a slip of my finger on one Q, so it's possible that one blooper wrecked the usefulness of the sorting:
Wampus
>THUNDERBIRD
>>PUKWUDGIE

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:51:00 PM by Resonance »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter; Simone Weil

July 25, 2016, 09:24:34 PM
Reply #18

Resonance

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
In case they help, here are a couple of the Thunderbird frames I clipped from the trailer this weekend:

For those intrigued by the Tbird's powers, in the Fantastic Beasts thread, there's a clip of the black "tornado" that appears to be the storm of a Thunderbird flying down a dark NYC street.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:04:36 AM by Resonance »

July 26, 2016, 05:31:27 AM
Reply #19

Helen E Potter

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:31:27 AM »
I got sorted two time on both Pottermore  and MIN the 1st of I was sorted on Pottermore I was put into Gryffindor then I was sorted again , was put into to Hufflepuff  , on MIN  the 1st time I was put into Slytherin then when was resorted I was put in to Ravenclaw

July 26, 2016, 03:44:54 PM
Reply #20

C_Zachero

• Hello

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
I am a Ravenclaw Pukwudgie!

July 31, 2016, 04:11:21 PM
Reply #21

Caleb

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »
First TGS post!

I'm a Gryffindor Pukwudgie. I was so, SO surprised by it. I really thought I'd be Horned Serpent, but after I sorted awhile back and thought about it, I think it totally fits me - especially where I am now in my life. I am left wondering which House I would have been in around 11 years old, though.

I'm so obsessed with these new Houses - so much to analyze and consider.

August 01, 2016, 11:37:45 AM
Reply #22

Lania

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »
I'm also a Gryffindor Puckwudgie! I was surprised at first, figuring I'd be a Wampus, by I read all sorts of stuff about how the two school's houses go together and I actually really fit with this combo. Idk how much trust I put into Pottermore's sorting, I guess I got lucky with the proper houses.

August 03, 2016, 12:29:21 PM
Reply #23

turelie

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
Hufflepuff Pukwudgie as well. :)

eta: is it sad that this is the first time I've read about the other school? I don't know why I've been avoiding it but it is really good stuff to read about.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:34:44 PM by turelie »

August 09, 2016, 02:31:13 AM
Reply #24

wishes

• (:

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 02:31:13 AM »
I've updated the first post up to here! With a bigger sample size, I've definitely noticed us Puffies, and a number of Gryffies have congregated in the Pukwudgie house, and many Slytherins have found their way into the Horned Serpent house! I also find it rather interesting that their are no Slytherins currently that are also Pukwudgie (unless I've missed someone), which may have something to do with "thinking with your heart", and "thinking with your brain". The same could be said about having no Gryffindors in the Horned Serpent house too!

Never sad turelie <3 I would never have known without this post heheh.

previously Nyu

August 29, 2016, 01:48:45 PM
Reply #25

Resonance

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
Thank you, wishes, for your interesting work on this.

I seem to be the SLYTHERIN PUKWUDGIE, albeit a complex case. (The dull detail summarized below.**)

Maltrix, I suspect you've hit an important gist of it with the general-but-there-are-exceptions "head"-"heart" theme:  Those who reason from principle applied to particulars, contrasted with those who work from how they feel-think about particular situations. 

It's totally independent of IQ in either case -- which confuses many -- because it's about how one evaluates-decides; it's not how smart one is, and analytical people sometimes live out deeper-broader "hearts."   In short, it's the objective-subjective distinction among people that Jung helps us understand.  Unfortunately, that dichotomy gets tangled in how the FOUR main astrological element orientations -- which correspond to head, heart, spirit-intuition, and earthy concreteness -- are confusedly blended across the four Hogwarts houses in Rowling's world.

Where the head-heart dichotomy gets more complicated, are the "heads" who don't know they "think" with hearts -- they may feel analytic yet are evaluating subjectively.
Similarly,  the "heads" who have learned via effort of character and spirit to value (understand) and include "heart" facors-principles in their "thinking" (it's inherently harder for "heart" people to incorporate more objectivity; just how it is).  Few people truly become able to meaningfully straddle categories, but I've encountered some impressive examples.

**Because I'm on the edge of most categories, I took Pottermore's Hogwarts (placed in all four) and Ilvermorny (three of four, except once when my finger slipped on one question and I inaccurately ended up in also-partially-plausible Wampus) sorting tests a number of times across a period of time. I'm a hatpause (perhaps a hatstall?), so I almost always had to answer extra questions before I got sorting results. 

I've enough results to accept (from JKR's perspective, consistent with MNI's Hogwarts result, recalling that neither test has scientific validity and reliability):

PUKWUDGIE.
Second place to both Horned Serpent / Thunderbird.  (Yet those observing just physical energy-movement, and aura, might presume Wampus.)

SLYTHERIN.
My MNI and more-frequent-than-others Pottermore result. 

Yet I have been placed in each Hogwarts house once or more.  And traits I identify with include effort, loyalty, fairness, compassion, wisdom, reason, inspiration, creativity, and courageous honesty-integrity.  I seem a shabby candidate for Slytherin in that I'm weak at self-preservation and wordly striving.  Perhaps having the go-deep intensity of one of the water signs Rowling associates with Slytherin is a factor in how I come out in Rowling's and MNI's tests? --even tho the trait is seen more in a Dumbledore than a Slytherin (though it also correlates with the meaning-seeking and greater-good integrity of one of the fire signs that JKR would associate with Gryffindor). 

Part of the 'flaw' in how JKR assigned traits to the four houses seems to flow from the rather trite way she conceptualizes the astrological elements (and the rest of the complex art that is accomplished professional astrology, as well as the more complex Jungian understanding).  But all that was in the service of Rowling's wonderful plot and characters, rather than accurate and complete development of psychological/astrological type.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:53:54 PM by Resonance »

August 29, 2016, 02:10:50 PM
Reply #26

JudithC

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
Part of the 'flaw' in how JKR assigned traits to the four houses seems to flow from the rather trite way she conceptualizes the astrological elements (and the rest of the complex art that is accomplished professional astrology, as well as the more complex Jungian understanding).  But all that was in the service of Rowling's wonderful plot and characters, rather than accurate and complete development of psychological/astrological type.

To put this another way...  At the time JKR did the groundwork for Hogwarts and the qualities of its Houses, she was writing books for children and young adults (particularly Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone).  I suspect that the author she was then would be flabbergasted by the popularity of her books and the depth of the analysis they and her universe have undergone.  It's possible that the basic plotline has remained intact from the beginning, but I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that her original plan did not involve nearly so much darkness or depth, and that she allowed (or encouraged) herself to go deeper because she knew that she had an audience that would enjoy and appreciate the more adult approach.  However, by then the die was cast in terms of the qualities of the Houses, as relatively simplistic as they are, and she could not go back and refigure them without undermining her own foundation.

Creating houses for Ilvermorny has allowed her to build on more adult ground, again because she knows that her current audience will appreciate the different approach.  The younger set who are just starting out with her work are likely to grow into it, and look back ten years from now with an "oh, that's what she means with the Ilvermorny houses!" moment, or several.  Maybe by then there will be books incorporating the new standards for us children of all ages to enjoy and unravel.  Remember, she said she was done with Harry Potter, not with the universe!

August 29, 2016, 05:13:27 PM
Reply #27

Resonance

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »
Yes, I think it appropriate to enjoy Pottermore's HOGWARTS sortings with a dash of salt (irrespective of whether one enjoys discovering how they are constructed and relate to other paradigms).

I agree: fortunately for we fans, the point of what JKR set out to do was the books -- characters and stories! 

The "personality tests" that much later flowed from the books' popularity and resulting Pottermore enterprise simply are what they are.  (But some fans seem to take the tests very seriously, expecting an underlying design that is somehow scientifically valid -- or, perhaps more accurately said, subjectively felt to be that way.)  Just as some enjoy roleplay or being trivia experts, I enjoy discovering underlying conceptualizations and the construction of things things so I understand them better.

In case I was unclear, when I say
"flaw"
in quotation marks, I am doing the opposite of criticizing JKR or her created paradigm.  I was commenting, simplistically, on the interplay of several paradigms. (The issues arise re how portions of the fandom have understood, or misunderstood, paradigms and their application; the conceptualization and, therefore, programing of dating sites is fraught with similar issues and misplaced expectations.) 

I am intrigued by all that JKR put into the Hogwarts sorting test design (as I am with some time-tested related paridigms such as Jung's>MBTI; the Enneagram; advanced astrological paradigms and systems) . . .
. . . it teaches me a lot about how JKR thinks and feels and presume, which deepens and enriches my experiences with HP, the wizarding world, and interviews Rowling has given.

Re the interesting insight about the darkness and intensity of the books as they developed:
I appreciate your observation about JKR paying attention across a decade to the surprisingly broad demographic that fell in love with her books.  I'd not before wondered whether or how that may have affected her conscious and subconscious creative process in the later books.

One thing I've loved about her offerings beginning with page 1 of PS/SS is how much depth and breadth and intellect informs her creation.   My own personal experience was being immediately  wowed because she was writing brilliantly on simultaneous child and adult levels, and continued with that same wondrous and captivating complexity in all the Potter books. I was hooked.

But perhaps I misunderstand what JKR always planned and expected -- or misunderstood the preceeding post?  I thought JKR always knew and planned, in general at least, that the books would become more intense, darker, and increasingly mature (as the characters age across seven school years into adulthood).

Back to sorting -- ILVERMORNY: It will be interesting to discover whether JKR even wants to do more with fleshing out those houses.  Personally, I feel no need for it.

So far, she has left both the house descriptions and the Ilvermorny sorting very, very lightly sketched.  The sorting is quite simple, compared even to Hogwarts, and thus far appears less valid (in the term-of-art sense in which I use the word) -- IF one even cares about that, instead of merely enjoying it with the "grain of salt."  I'm hugely more interested in Rowling's fabulous stories and brilliant characters; sadly, most fans read them as they happened, and tired of discussing them in depth long before I finally read them.

August 29, 2016, 10:21:43 PM
Reply #28

JudithC

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 10:21:43 PM »
The only online sorting test I found anywhere near credible was the one on the late, great MNI, which was actually based on the MBTI.  Even Pottermore standards as shown in the sorting test were too obvious for my taste, particularly the parts related directly to the elements, though it was a very pretty test.  My question about the real Ilvermorny test is what happens to the rare student under consideration who doesn't fit with what any of the judging spirits is looking for.  It's bound to happen once in a while, and would actually make a good story.  Kids with magical talent can't - or shouldn't - be simply left to their own devices, if for no other reason than that without training they become dangerous to themselves and/or the people around them.  The Sorting Hat intrigues me as one of the elements, like the moving portraits, that almost crosswalk to things that can be accomplished in our world via technology - one of those examples of simultaneously writing for children and adults.

As far as the darkness in the later books is concerned, yes, it was part of the plan all along.  However...  There is a change that happens to some writers at a certain point in their career.  I don't know if it comes out of the realization that the success of the first book (or first couple of books) was not a fluke, or a sudden increase in advances (which is related to the first point), but several writers I've read regularly have suddenly gone through an order-of-magnitude increase in length and/or intricacy and/or intensity of their books.  The example that jumps to my mind is C.J. Cherryh, who jumped from novels in the 80-100K word range to the 500+K giant that was Cyteen largely because her publisher added a zero to the size of her advance.  In my opinion, the same kind of thing happened with JKR between the third and fourth books of the series.  I wouldn't call it a bad thing, since we as readers did profit by it, but it made for quite a different texture between the two parts of the series.  In contrast, there is Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, which also got substantially darker and more intense and mature as it went along, while maintaining the same general texture.

As an American, I'd love to see more of Ilvermorny, and US magical society in general.  If blood status issues did not cause conflict, what did?  What effect did the different waves of immigrants have?  What about the Great Depression?  Did the magical sons of No-Maj families get drafted?  Is American magical society as much a separate entity from the mainstream as its British counterpart?  So many questions!  So much material!  So off topic!   :-[

July 18, 2018, 09:11:24 AM
Reply #29

marvel girl

• Pronouns: she/her

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
My friend recently encouraged me to get sorted, and I am apparently a Hufflepuff Thunderbird. xD
  • Fandoms: Marvel - Harry Potter - Sherlock - Marco Polo - Funhaus - Achievement Hunter - The Witcher - Smosh