Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Miscellaneous File  (Read 14387 times)

November 11, 2016, 03:12:26 PM
Reply #30

JudithC

Re: The Miscellaneous File
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
This time the Prompted! prompt had to do with a favorite animated hero/heroine.  I decided to go old with it, and use someone who was not exactly heroic, but who was kind of a hero to me, particularly in retrospect.  When I was a kid, my favorite cartoon show featured Rocky the flying squirrel and Bullwinkle the moose.  The show had several different titles through the years.  It was one of those shows that had elements that mostly went over the heads of the kids who were officially watching.  For example, Rocky was the one who introduced me to the concept that "military intelligence" was a contradiction in terms.  Anyway, I have selected Rocky for the subject of my graphic because he was the brainy one of the pair, and even at that age I appreciated the value of a good brain.

The quality (or lack thereof) of the images made them harder to work with than you might think.  Some of the larger areas that are supposed to be solid color actually have well-defined blocks of different colors that might be all right for a character in motion, but are painfully obvious (and ugly) when still.  I had to do some very dainty smudging to get Rocky back to his proper gray.  And then there were all the shades of aqua.  I didn't quite manage to get them to match exactly, but at least they are no longer glaringly different.

Bases:  1, 2, 3

Also, I updated the banner for The Cat Room to include the latest additions to the household, Frey (under the table near the front) and Baal (on the back of the chair to the right).

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:50:58 AM by JudithC »

November 27, 2016, 03:04:41 PM
Reply #31

JudithC

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
One time while I was taking a walk through downtown Vancouver, I noticed an interesting key in the window of an "antique" store.  It struck me as having a design applicable to Hecate, who is one of my two principal goddesses, so I decided to turn it into jewelry.  This is the set that is the result, and here is some detail.  The flash makes the key look brighter than the mellow color it actually is.  The bead colors are amber and black (jet), which in some pagan practices are associated with being a high priestess.  I am not, but Hecate is goddess of (among other things) witches and witchcraft, so the colors seemed appropriate for honoring Her.

January 22, 2017, 08:56:05 PM
Reply #32

JudithC

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
I kind of went sideways with this piece, which I made for the last Prompted!  (Thanks for running it, Pam.  I'll miss the periodic inspiration.)  The assignment had to do with our favorite line from a movie.  In my case, the line is from X-Men First Class:  Erik telling Charles, "I've been at the mercy of men just following orders.  Never again."  I can't say it's my favorite line, but it moves me all over again every time I see the movie, and I've seen the movie a lot.  In fact, it's my most-watched movie ever.

I have strong Jewish roots, and strong emotional ties to the Holocaust.  To me, it and previous historical events similar to it are the reason why the state of Israel needs to exist - to give us a place to go that is ours, where the persecutors will face strong, effective resistance if they ever try to follow.  Because anti-Semitism continues to be a fact of life and, I fear, always will be.

January 28, 2017, 08:05:30 PM
Reply #33

JudithC

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
I've been beading again.  Here are the results, in thumbnails - first the whole pieces, and then more detailed close-ups.

January 29, 2017, 09:46:05 PM
Reply #34

JudithC

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
I'm not usually much for politics, but current events related to immigration hurt my soul.  I'll let this graphic say the rest for me.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:47:41 PM by JudithC »

February 03, 2017, 07:32:26 PM
Reply #35

JudithC

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
I've been beading again.  I decided that this necklace needed earrings to go with it, so I made these.  The smaller round accent beads were left over from the necklace.

February 09, 2017, 03:13:07 PM
Reply #36

JudithC

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
I was feeling the need to do something creative, so I made a signature for a character that never really went active.  She's mixed Indian and English, and the name she prefers to use is Shanti, which means Peace.  The background is an image from the Hindu festival of Navaratri, which celebrates nine manifestations of Devi, or Goddess.

February 17, 2017, 09:00:52 PM
Reply #37

JudithC

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
Here's my latest beadwork.  It's in honor of Asherah, who is one of my two principal goddesses.  She was considered the wife of the Hebrew god before the patriarchs took over and wrote her out.  The lions and entwined snakes both represent her, though the lions should really be lionesses - but nobody makes lioness charms.  She was known as "star of the sea" before the appellation was given to Mary, mother of Jesus, which is where the sun and blue sea/sky background comes from.  The center picture shows one of the earrings before I sewed it into a tube, so the whole design is visible.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:01:56 PM by JudithC »

February 20, 2017, 08:57:32 PM
Reply #38

JudithC

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
What happens when I get bored?  In this case, I make signatures for the characters who are in a roleplay with one of mine.  The first is for Matilda Waffling, Head of the Department of No-Maj Relations, and my character's boss.  The second is for Prospero Graves, the Senator from New Jersey, who has stopped in for some drama.  The quote is from his profile.

March 09, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
Reply #39

JudithC

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Here's some more beadwork.  I decided that the Asherah set needed a bracelet after all, so I made one.  Then I was moving things around on our beading supply shelves, and I stumbled across a set of graduated black onyx pieces.  I decided to turn them into a necklace, with black agate beads between them, and I added short lengths of spiral rope beadwork to make the whole thing long enough.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:20:46 PM by JudithC »

April 09, 2017, 09:08:19 PM
Reply #40

JudithC

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »
Watching Ghost in the Shell left me with the urge to make a graphic or three.  I actually got two semi-ideas during the walk home.  This was neither of them.  I'm going for a sense of loneliness and isolation.  I couldn't decide which version of the graphic expressed that better, so I'm posting both.

April 10, 2017, 09:18:39 PM
Reply #41

JudithC

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
Here's a little something I made for my husband, using images he selected.  I gave it to him this size, and he's using it this way on his phone.  He also plans to resize it for different purposes, like an avatar on sites he uses regularly.

April 30, 2017, 05:08:46 PM
Reply #42

JudithC

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
One of my favorite beading/jewelry supply sites had an Easter egg hunt, with prizes for collecting different amounts of eggs.  What they didn't provide was free shipping for said prizes, so I decided to order enough stuff to make the shipping cost worthwhile. Then I got the idea to make myself a charm bracelet, with charms of personal significance.  By the time I finished collecting those supplies, I was close to the total that would get me free shipping, so I found enough real bargains to round out that total.  When I was done, I was only 4¢ over, with all kinds of fun things to play with.  Here are the results.  The ornate bead at the center of the necklace was one of my prizes.  The bracelet might be more craft than art, but I did put it all together, including selecting and cutting the chain, so I'm going to go ahead and post it.

May 07, 2017, 01:58:43 AM
Reply #43

JudithC

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 01:58:43 AM »
I've been graphicking again.  Here's something else from Ghost in the Shell.  The theme is "celebrate uniqueness," with the cookie-cutter-ness of the geisha-bots in direct contrast with Major even when she was in need of repair.  I thought about including the theme as text, but I couldn't figure out a way where it would add to the graphic, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

June 18, 2017, 09:31:38 PM
Reply #44

JudithC

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
It's new beadwork time!  I made this set in connection with the robes I wear as part of an esoteric Christian group.  The robes are white, and I finger-wove trim in four different greens (to represent Earth, Air, Fire, and Water) to go around the neck, hem, and sleeves, as well as a belt to hold a small pouch.  The problem is that the place where the Order holds its annual Retreat gets so hot that I can't stand to wear the robes.  So I've improvised.  I have a short-sleeved white top and lightweight white skirt that I wear with the belt and pouch.  This beadwork goes with the hot-weather "robes."  Its design is intended to mimic the finger-woven trim.