Advanced Search

Author Topic: Weighing of the Wands - What is yours?  (Read 6902 times)

July 19, 2016, 04:05:25 PM
Reply #15

Resonance

Re: Weighing of the Wands - What is yours?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
Maltrix, here's a lead on Blackthorn, if you're interested:

Blackthorn – 10", core unknown:  A Snatcher's wand.
Ron stole it from a Snatcher and gifted it to Harry when Ron returned to the woods.
Later, they left it behind amid their Malfoy Manor escape.  Next time you read Bk 7, you may want to double-check this, though, as notes in my personal files/piles  related to free-time interests may contain bloopers.

Judith, the Hornbeam is interesting . . .

. . . On the one hand, most of its potentialities may allign very aptly with your traits/potential, while on the other hand the intensely focused pursuit may seem quite "off" -- after all, the examples we have of Hornbeam wand pairings are Ollivander and Viktor Krum. Neither are what one might call 'Renaissance man [sic]" types.  (As to that facet, I certainly am among the opposite-of-Hornbeam types!)

I have zero interest in dark magic anyway.
I heartily agree, altho I probably lack your grace in saying it so diplomatically

Besides, I am a firm believer in the threefold law (what you wish on others will come back to you threefold)
That is a wise and pragmatic way to navigate life. A bit like conceptually putting an exponent on 'karma' or the 'golden rule,' isn't it?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:13:00 PM by Resonance »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter; Simone Weil

July 19, 2016, 11:22:57 PM
Reply #16

Resonance

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 11:22:57 PM »
Oh, Bella, I forgot to mention the core info, so here's a summary for you, since what Pottermore originally assigned you didn't resonate with you.

I noticed that dragon heartstring feels most resonant for you (is certainly an apt partner with your wand wood!), so you may be interested to know what the wand study discovered about how Pottermore's wand core quiz makes that choice, since it didn't match you with a wand that felt resonant.

The core pairing tends to be determined by two of the answers:
-1-  the object one selects from the trunk, and
-2-  which of the feared items one most fears.

Almost anything combined with selecting the "silver dagger" will yield dragon heartstring -- except if it's isolation one most fears; that yeilds a Phoenix feather core.  If it's isolation one most fears, must select either the jewel or "ornate mirror" to be chosen by a dragon heartstring core.

The "old black glove" is more likely than not to produce a dragon heartstring core, but not as often as the dagger.

Overall, there are (or were as of some years ago) . . .
. . . 7 answer combinations that gave Phoenix feather
. . . 11 that gave dragon heartstring, and
. . . 17 that gave unicorn hair.

An aside:  Much as I admire Phoenixes, I must admit to wishing that Ollivander also used thestral hair.  One wonders what "he" (J.K.) would say about it, given that it was in the elder wand.  I don't like to think of that core as tending to malevolence, because I experience thestral to be benign   -- sad, perhsps, but not evil.  But who knows what Rowling would say?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:30:37 PM by Resonance »

July 20, 2016, 09:16:35 AM
Reply #17

Resonance

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 09:16:35 AM »
You're most welcome.

From what you write of your Pottermore responses, I would not find fault with the Pottermore wand-choosing for your Pottermore result.  It seemed to do a good job distinguishing something you may(?) not have done at the time you took that quiz . . .

. . . answering, on the one hand, as if you "are" Bellatrix (which may be very hard because you are not "standing in the shoes[mind]" of someone who performs terrible deeds, intends them, and remorselessly relishes them!) versus, on the other hand, answering as yourself.

It still doesn't guarantee particular results, of course, and the tests are far from perfect.   

In my own case, for example, I love Helene Bonham Carter's acting in HP (she played, and Rowling wrote, Bellatrix so brilliantly) and her other films.  I experience Helene to be smart and appealingly singular in real life. 

But, like JK Rowling, I fear (thus abhor) the depravity of intention and behavior that characters such as Bellatrix (similarly, Helene as the Red Queen), Umbridge, and Skeeter represent.  I also am deeply afraid of the personal, social, and political consequences that arise and are empowered by the apathy or scapegoating that individuals can tolerate or even participate in and uncritically allow to become pervasive in their culture.  Rowling illustrated this soooo terrifyingly/painfully well on a number of occassions in her books.  These are vivid reminders of the profound importance of Dumbledore urging us "to remember" Cedric when, moment by moment, we must chose between easy and right -- typically myriad mundane "little" things, rather than some big heroic moment. 

Nevertheless, I chose the silver dagger from the chest.  I happen to really be fond of knives (and certain other hand tools) for peaceful purposes, and for their asthetics.  In my analytic mind, though, I feared my dagger selection might influence the wand quiz to presume I've dark leanings that I do not in reality possess; it certainly was a factor the times I've been placed in Slytherin. In this way, the sorting quizes see the surface but don't plumb the true motivations and intentions in a valid or sufficiently complex way.

I should clarify that I don't consider the non-Pottermore wand selection tests superior.  They can be criticized for as many or more reasons than the Pottermore sortings, which dohave much more than merely arbitrary factors involved; the two I mentioned in an earlier post are the only ones that have nothing but arbitrariness about them.  The rest of the PM wand selection is based on associations with one's thoughts and feelings, albeit a bit simplistic in  assumptions.

None of the quizzes is scientifically valid and reliable -- like, sadly, so much that we humans choose to believe.  (Many of us "think" with our feelings, not with a somewhat objective intellect, and then convince ourselves otherwise by making up reasons to support what we arrived at via a route other than reason.)

Nevertheless, the quizes JK Rowling wrote are -- for purists -- "the" sorting and wand-selection quizes.  And JK wrote the quizes used in Pottermore.   I figure that which quiz (or simple self selection) one choses depends on the purpose for which one wants to be associated with a house or wand.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:04:10 PM by Resonance »

July 20, 2016, 01:41:59 PM
Reply #18

Resonance

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Bella, I truly do understand, and did not presume anything negative about your character.  (That's why I expressly said that I presumed you didn't resonate with the icky side of Bellatrix Lestrange. ) I was trying, in part, to say that part of the reason Pottermore didn't get you to a more "bellatrix" wand may be that *your* true nature may have come through more than "hers" in how you happened to take that test at that time.

I very much appreciate learning more about how you experience the fictional Bellatrix, and what inspiration you draw from her.  Thank you so much for elaborating on that, because I always learn something new when people share their personal encounters with charaters and events in the HP world; it's all so rich!

I, too, find the character as portrayed by Helena to be incredibly intriging.  It's simply true that one can be fascinated by some aspects of someone or something while simultaneously fearing or even despising other facets.  Human beings are full of such parodoxes.

If you resemble Helena/Bellatrix in appearance, then I'm quite envious because I think Helena is incredibly beautiful!  She's also very smart and, I think, quite self-possessed (I've listened to many interviews with her). So while I can't claim to be a Bellatrix fan, I am quite a fan of Helena.  In contrast, a couple of my favorite HP characters (such as Lupin) were embodied -- and well-acted -- by actors who don't catch my interest.

You're so very right that there is somthing in the human brain that gives a 'halo' effect to those who look like people we feel good about (or wish to be like) -- just like we tend to subconsciously have negative prejudgments of those who look like what we feel negative about.  It's normal. 

You're wise enough to understand it, which is one of the ways that one becomes stronger as a person; and strength, when it is wise, is wonderful indeed!  I truly appreciate what you describe about the kind of inspiration you personally get from the character.

For those of us deeply attuned to how profoundly the fictional stories parallel RL people and situations, current and historical, there isn't (sadly, perhaps) the marvelous playfulness that the creative role playing world is able to enjoy.  That's okay.  It's just "different strokes for different folks" and we're all united in our love for the Harry Potter world, both those who relish RP and those who relate to the wizarding world and HP in other ways.

Thank you again for your thoughtful posts. As one who arrived very late to the HP world, I really relish those of you who still have a great love and enthusiasm for things Potter, and love learning from you!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:23:23 PM by Resonance »

July 20, 2016, 06:10:25 PM
Reply #19

Resonance

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »
If anyone might enjoy a reminder about how a very important wand (Salazar Slytherin's) figures into Ilvermorny's history, highlighting its wood and very unique core, Pottermore has that as one section in today's article about   Slytherin style-artifacts.

Another interesting reminder that there generally is both darkness and light in most everything.

And mysteries . . . any to be answered in the Fantastic Beasts trilogy? 
Q.  Is the tree image that is seen, e.g., in an Ilvermorny stained glass window the Snakewood tree?
Q.  Will the tree's healing properties play a role in the FB trilogy?
Q.  Slytherin's wand responded to Parseltongue; does the tree at Ilvermorny respond to Parseltongue?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:17:53 PM by Resonance »

August 23, 2016, 05:59:24 AM
Reply #20

ghostadmiral15

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 05:59:24 AM »
My wand is 11 3/4" long and hawthorn wood, with dragon heartstring core, and "unyielding flexibility".
  • Fandoms: Too many to count
WARNING-
 L TRAIN ORD FARE CHANGING BRING OLIVES NOT N-WORDS