Advanced Search

Author Topic: What got you started writing Fan fiction?  (Read 1895 times)

July 17, 2016, 11:20:57 AM
Read 1895 times

aera

• Pronouns: They/Them; He/Him

What got you started writing Fan fiction?
« on: July 17, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
Every author has a story. What's yours? How did you get started writing fan fiction? What fandom was it for?

I'll put mine in a bit, but I'm interested in what ya'll have to say about it. :)
  • Fandoms: Orphan Black

July 18, 2016, 06:42:01 AM
Reply #1

Khaos

Re: What got you started writing Fan fiction?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:01 AM »
It never occurred to me that there was such a thing as fan fiction until I subscribed to the Rocky Horror fanmag 'Crazed Imaginations' and was confronted with a whole bunch. I didn't write fan fiction immediately; first I tried my hand at being a reporter (for the European beat) and after a few months I thought, hey, I'm a creative girl, I am a writer; I could write a story about Frank'n Furter. Which I did and it got published (mind you, they published everything so it's not such a great feat haha!) I enjoyed the rush I got from seeing my own name in the magazine so I wrote a few more Rocky Horror one-shots.

When I got on the Mugglenet Interactive forum and saw there was a whole section devoted to fan fiction, my writing nerves started to itch. I was so sad about the end of Severus Snape, I created an entire story about a possible way for him to still 'be'. And find love.
Due to the amazing people on the site, who stimulated me to continue writing with their sweet praise and constructive feedback, I wrote quite a few works of fan fiction, most of them one-shots.

The only other fan fiction I ever wrote a one-shot for is Psych. For some reason I never really dared writing much for any other universe than Harry Potter. I am so familiar with those characters, writing is 'easy'(apart from the procrastination sessions, insecurity and writer's block ... of course!).
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Hunger Games, Psych, West Wing, Buffy, The Vampire Chronicles, Galavant, Supernatural, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Read my latest article on The Pineapple Gazette

July 28, 2016, 10:27:03 PM
Reply #2

aera

• Pronouns: They/Them; He/Him

Re: What got you started writing Fan fiction?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
For me, I was always two things. Well okay, three. A writer, a reader, and a fangirl. It just seemed natural to mix them together. My first fanfic I believe actually was a Harry Potter/Star Wars crossover. I have done Dragonriders of Pern, Lord of the Rings, and Doctor Who since then.

For a short time on gaiaonline, I had a critic/audience for my Pern/SW crossover, as I was part of a Pern Guild. Those were some good times. I remember furiously writing and editing during the day at school so I could type up the next installation at night.
  • Fandoms: Orphan Black