Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Cursed Child (J.K. Rowling's stage play) + POLL  (Read 3324 times)

July 17, 2016, 10:56:33 PM
Read 3324 times

Resonance

The Cursed Child (J.K. Rowling's stage play) + POLL
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
Who else has preordered J.K. Rowling's stage script and is eager to begin reading at month's end about the Harry et al.'s lives in Harry's post-"nineteen years later" world?  Will be fascinating to experience a Rowling story as a stage script.

I love live theater hugely, and the magical effects on stage are said to be wonderful, so am hoping the play eventually will tour and someday become available to me. 

Has anyone here the pleasure of seeing the live performance in London?

"Stay Calm and Keep the Secrets"

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:59:10 PM by Resonance »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter; Simone Weil

July 20, 2016, 11:00:20 AM
Reply #1

Resonance

Re: The Cursed Child (J.K. Rowling's stage play)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Update (21 July): New : photo of the "trio" and a pre-opening-night interview published today in by one of England's leading newspapers.   

Revealed today (20 July) that Draco's son,  Scorpius Malfoy, becomes a good friend of Harry's son Albus when the two head off for Hogwarts.  The Pottermore interview with the actor is now available.  Evokes memories of the scene on Platform 9 3/4, nineteen years later.

For those of us who felt the painful side, for Draco, of how he was raised, what Anthony Boyle says in his interview is also sad.  But we can wonder where the story goes from there -- perhaps a nicer place?

Of course, Rose isn't enamoured of Scorpius, so there will be the matter of Hermione's typically cautious analytical legacy to cast another layer of possibilities over it all.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:59:39 PM by Resonance »

July 22, 2016, 07:24:38 AM
Reply #2

Helen E Potter

Re: The Cursed Child (J.K. Rowling's stage play) + POLL
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »
I have per ordered two copies so my Mum and I can both read at the same time  as for the play is in on  two parts it will not be easy to go and see as  we have  to get there by train , bus or underground  so having go  to see part one then   go home   then go the  next day have do the journey both way two days in a row is to much . Yes some times part 1  is on in the afternoon then part 2 is later but  if we did that we have find same thing do until part two starts

July 22, 2016, 02:02:03 PM
Reply #3

JudithC

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
I surrendered to temptation and preordered myself a copy.  But, hey, I used Bing rewards money, so it's not like I took funds out of my already-strained budget.  Free money can be spent frivolously, right?  Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.    :P

July 22, 2016, 10:57:56 PM
Reply #4

Resonance

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
Good for you, JudithC.  I'm very pleased for you and hopeful this means that you'll be among the discussants.  Besides, among all the discretionary purchases to choose from, one might argue that you spent your "free"  $ on a rather sensible and likely high-quality item, one which you're likely to get more that one-time use from.

And, let's face it: even if[when is more like it] the play crosses the pond, the cost of tickets will make the script seem like nothing in comparison, and may send most of us back to the script as our only consolation prize.

Since it releases at 12:01 on a weekend morning, I may even rest up and let myself wallow in it as soon as the internet tucks it into my device. 

Helen E Potter, I see that you're in the greater London region.  Yet, even if your Mum and you were willing to humor the factors you mentioned, an expensive and sold-out-into-2017 show is not what I'd call accessible.  A mere forty tickets to be released each Friday is hardly a good chance to get a seat when you're competing not only with folks from around the UK, but even people willing to travel from other nations!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:01:06 PM by Resonance »

July 22, 2016, 11:33:25 PM
Reply #5

anastasia

• Pronouns: They/Them

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »
Helen, I really hope that you guys are able to go. It's difficult, but it's totally worth it. and I imagine that there's going to be an extended run of it over there too, so even if you don't get to see it with the original cast, I think it's possible for you to see it. You'll have to tell us all about it if you do see it. :D 

I was hoping to go to a midnight premiere of the book, but I live too far away from any book store that's doing it to really go. Reason 9151480643 I need to get my own car and license.  ::)  But I'm gonna try to buy it when it first comes out anyway. I'm a bit nervous since it's not actually written by JK Rowling, but I'm so glad that they're publishing the script to make it more accessible worldwide.

Don't
Panic

July 26, 2016, 08:51:24 AM
Reply #6

Resonance

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
The script release celebration kicks off in the U.S.:  Video of  a 300-person Mugglemob and Scholastic, Rowling's U.S. publisher, celebrating this weekend's upcoming Cursed Child script release by taking to the SoHo (NYC) street in front of Scholastic's headquarters, reading from (and then giving away) HP1-7 books, with a finale that included releasing a many-stories-high banner that unroled down the front of the building.

Apparently there are over 10,000 release events expected in the U.S.  On Thursday, those who wish to get noticed entering an HP costume show should dress up and gather on the Today Show plaza in New York.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:37:07 AM by Resonance »

July 27, 2016, 10:55:54 AM
Reply #7

Resonance

Re: The Cursed Child (stage play & script) + POLL
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
More updates: The Guardian now has a handy summary of major reviews
Entertainment Weekly offers a gallary of 22 Cursed Child photos, and Snitchseeker has  24 pics here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s a triumph. . . . in all key respects, it grips, it stirs, it delights.
a magical show with a strong emotional core
FIVE STARS

- Dominic Cavendish, The Telegraph

Mid-week reviews of the last preview performances are now out, just prior to Saturday's opening and Sunday's 12:01 a.m. release of the script. 

This production captures Ms. Rowling’s sensibility even more persuasively than did the special-effects-driven films.  
- The New York Times

"SPOILER" ALERT: What I've written here gives away nothing.
But if you wish to read the script (or eventually see the play) knowing nearly nothing about the characters or issues in the play, tread carefully in the reviews as there are some outline sketches of facets of the characters, relationships, and tensions. None of it gives away the plot, of course.

The Belfast Telegraph gives a good summary roundup of the main reviews.
And here's The Guardian review.

Ginny & Harry, parents
Jamie Parker, Noma Dumezweni and Paul Thornley have the characters we know and love so well down to a t.

The three are like a distant radio signal of character familiarity, drifting in an out, intermittantly channelling their iconic past.

But it’s the children who steal the show along with all the drama of the books and films, a lot of laughs and some fantastic special effects.

- Entertainment Weekly

In the U.S., The Chicago Tribune calls the play . . .
. . . the stunning, six-hour, two-part, densely plotted, maniacally detailed, utterly J.K. Rowling-esque, thrillingly and theatrically wrought sequel . . . .

Tiffany, Hoggett and, not least, the set designer Christine Jones and magic persons Jeremy Chernick and Jamie Harrison collectively make the case that it is the theater that more naturally expresses the Rowling gestalt beyond the page.

“Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” works because it centers on, and feels so utterly consistent with, the two central themes of the Potter books.

The New York Times also raved, and hinted at what Rowling has said all along: this is the darkest of the now-eight HP stories.
Voldemort is now long gone, of course. Or is he?

The story of “The Cursed Child” — conceived by Ms. Rowling with its playwright, Jack Thorne, and director, John Tiffany — makes such questions impossible to answer, and I’m not just being coy because of my pledge of silence. This is a work in which the past casts a distressingly substantive shadow.

Like the novels that preceded it, “The Cursed Child” is stuffed with arcana-filled plots that defy diagrams and baldly wrought sentimental life lessons, along with anguished dives into the earnest, tortured solipsism of adolescence. By rights, such a combination should try the patience of any grown-up. But like Ms. Rowling’s books, the play vanquishes resistance.

Draco, Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:27:46 PM by Resonance »

August 06, 2016, 05:49:14 PM
Reply #8

veebee123

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
I just finished reading the book, and I'm wondering if folks here have finished reading it yet? Are we allowed to talk about the plot and/or spoilers at this point?
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter | The Hobbit | The Hunger Games | The Divergent series | Nerdfighteria/Vlogbrothers |

August 07, 2016, 03:01:09 AM
Reply #9

JudithC

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 03:01:09 AM »
What Vee asked.  And meanwhile, here are some non-plot-spoiling observations.

Good grief, how did they get all those effects to work in realtime?  That being said, I'd love to see the play done as a movie.  Since the vast majority of us will never get to see the play in person, with all the intensity that implies, a movie would be great so we can see it with our eyes, with all the effects as good as technology can make them, and not just in our heads.

It took me until about half way through Act 3 to pin down something that didn't sit quite right with me:  The characters we have come to know and love might just sound too much like the characters we know and love.  To my ear, their "voices" haven't changed enough since the Hogwarts days.  I know the way I speak now sounds different from the way I spoke when I was seventeen.  I'd have liked to hear more growing up in speech patterns, which should have been possible with JKR on call.

Act 4 got a tad preachy for my taste, even though that did fit with the character who got the preachiest.  (Is that a word?  It is now.)  And it's too late for some of his dialogue here to redeem him in my eyes.  Actions speak louder than words.

For the most part I loved the twisty plot, though I question the origin of the antagonist.  I didn't, and don't, think the parents had that kind of relationship, however willing the mother would have been.  However, I also love the ambiguity of who exactly the cursed child is.  Seems to me there are several candidates.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:08:48 AM by JudithC »

August 08, 2016, 07:05:50 PM
Reply #10

veebee123

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 07:05:50 PM »
Judith, I agree with you. Plot was masterfully done, with lots of foreshadowing and surprise twists. The characters were not very believable. I was also uncomfortable with Malfoy calling HRHG by their first names and vice versa. Malfoy will never be "Draco" to me, he'll always be Malfoy.

I haven't decided yet whether I like the screenplay or not.
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter | The Hobbit | The Hunger Games | The Divergent series | Nerdfighteria/Vlogbrothers |

August 09, 2016, 12:25:41 AM
Reply #11

anastasia

• Pronouns: They/Them

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 12:25:41 AM »
Actually, I kind of felt the opposite! I think the characterization was very spot on for them having grown up so much, even if the speech patterns weren't the best. You have to remember that it is meant to be a play, where everything is very easy to understand. it's also been said (though I forget where) that this is meant to be a play that kids could enjoy also, which makes sense why the speech patterns weren't changed too much.

Also, I really do think that JK Rowling didn't write the story or any part of it. Only made tweaks to make the characters more believable.

But on the other hand, I also... kind of despised the plot and found it very cliche. (More below in the spoiler tags - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Spoiler: show

It just makes sense for them to address each other by their first names, because they've grown up and they have to work together now. Also, I think Draco got knocked down a few pegs by everything that happened in the wizarding war. Even in the original epilogue, I didn't see him being the same arrogant little jerk we saw in the first few books. He wouldn't be one to talk down to anyone after that.

The only thing that seemed a little bit out of character for me was Harry signing autographs. And sometimes the way the characters acted was way too over dramatic, but it is meant for a play... not a novel or even movie.

I loved the kids -  I think their characters were spot on, and I love the interaction between Harry and Albus.

However... time travel as a plot device, used this heavily, was way too much. I might have even half liked it if it wasn't used again to have them get lost in time towards the end... but it was just too cliche, and it made me mad, but the twists and turns did keep me engaged. But it also made me so mad.
Don't
Panic

August 09, 2016, 02:15:47 AM
Reply #12

wishes

• (:

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:47 AM »
For questions about spoilers, yes you may discuss it of course, but please put them in spoiler tags with a warning as anastasia demonstrated <3

That being said, I have done my best to read the Cursed Child but I'm not really getting into it because of the different way of telling it (I mean it's a script after all!). Perhaps my imagination isn't up to par :P That being said, I absolutely agree with Judith about the effects, how are they able to coordinate all that?!? I think the one thing I've taken away from reading the Cursed Child so far is a newfound appreciation for theatre and the mechanics behind every detail!

previously Nyu

August 13, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
Reply #13

Resonance

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »
For those intrigued by the deeper|detailed nature of time travel in general and, in specific, what seems to have happened in Cursed Child, if you've not already seen this: the Lexicon has a carefully crafted article, Albus Potter and the lesson in Quantum Mechanics.  Included are side-by-side chronologies for each of (too many!) time travel events in the script.

After reading the script twice during the first days it was out, I may need some time distance and a third read to feel clearer about my reactions.  I wasn't fascinated by a plot structured on the trope of so many spirals through time.

Perhaps that excess of swirling is why one can be left feeling that many characters, especially the familiar adults, are not developed, nor "aged" in voice 19 yrs?  The stage production might have cured that . . . altho Ron inherently is written too shallowly to feel fully believable to me.  There simply isn't enough time spent in the same linear time.  (The many side-by-side timelines laid out in the Lexicon article above feels a bit like like a "picture" of what I mean.)

Sadly for me, the story felt too drearily predictable for surprisingly too many pages.  But, then! Well past the halfway point, I finally noticed I felt differently, and I began to believe I was getting my money's worth after all.**

I easily adored Scorpius as a character.  Something in the writing even of a stage script persuaded me that I had encountered a guileless, sincere, courageously vulnerable human being. The friendship is dear, snd I imagine more so on stage.

I appreciated inclusion of a character in the eldercare age range 'nineteen years later.'  There are several layers of meaning in how that character is used in the plot.

Believable, for me: how the interactions between Draco and Harry et al. unfold across the plot, even though these are among what remains rather underdeveloped and two-dimensional amid the rather miniscule amount of linear time. 

Among what I hope to read articles|discussion of in the future:
Why (a deeper, or more thorough, understanding) a certain MoM official may have decided to retain a particular magic device.
How one might evaluate the pragmatic and ethical implications of that.
Or, perhaps as with Dumbledore of Bks 1-7, one learns to accept that the character is imperfectly human despite their strengths, and it's simply some sloppy combination of nostalgia, hubris, and curiosity.

Judith aptly expressed something that really nagged at me, too, as I read:
I question the origin of the antagonist.  I didn't, and don't, think the parents had that kind of relationship, however willing the mother would have been.
One can more easily imagine that a woman as personality disordered as that 'mother' could convince herself that a liason she had was with whom the antagonist believes it was -- when in actual fact it was some other dark character.

Judith also articulates one of the things I most appreciate about the play:
I also love the ambiguity of who exactly the cursed child is
Amen!  Masterful, and realistic in the context of Harry's -- and Albus' -- world. 

A nice feature of the play that carries forward the torch of JKR's novels is that many people are apt to find at least one character they can either identify with or feel some compassion for.

**Spoilers
Spoiler: show
Among what I especially appreciated:
- The courage it took to not interfere in the events at Godric's Hollow that fateful night.
- My favorite moment in a story that mostly failed to fully engross me: the clever method the boys used to communicate their cry for help across time. 
- A wizard-world example of how seemingly innocuous "caregivers" in truth are using the vulnerable elderly.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:21:39 PM by Resonance »