Advanced Search

Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts + POLL + FB Graphic Montage!  (Read 6771 times)

July 17, 2016, 11:09:18 PM
Read 6771 times

Resonance

Fantastic Beasts + POLL + FB Graphic Montage!
« on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:18 PM »
I confess to having also preordered the Fantastc Beasts screenplay.  Has anyone else?

Is anyone else planning to read before viewing the movie?

It will be quite different this time.  Rather than the wonder (perhaps, for some, disappointment) of how some quite complex books became selectively transformed into cinematic enchantments, this time we'll be reading the actual "bones" of the screen embodiment instead.   

And for those who have dipped into the charity fundraiser "textbook" of Fantastic Beasts, or want to, you may appreciate the wonderful fan art collection at the splendid site The Harry Potter Companion.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:09:32 PM by Resonance »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter; Simone Weil

July 18, 2016, 01:31:39 AM
Reply #1

wishes

• (:

Re: Fantastic Beasts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:31:39 AM »
I've been super excited for Fantastic Beasts ever since it was announced, when the trailer came out and when it was announced Newt Scamander was Hufflepuff (go Puffies!). I haven't bought the screenplay (I admit I didn't even know it was available), but The Harry Potter Companion link you gave has some amazing illustrations! I particularly love the illustrations for the Merfolk, Kelpie, Occamy (which is beautifully coloured), and the Snidgets (also beautifully coloured).

Actually, now that I look closer, the Kelpie, Occamy and Snidgets illustrations have a very similar style -- they're drawn by the same person, Agatha Macpie! What a talented artist :3 That was a very good read, I should go have a browse of my old copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them as a trip down memory lane and preparation before watching the movie.

previously Nyu

July 18, 2016, 06:35:28 AM
Reply #2

Helen E Potter

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »
I think the Film is more about  Newt Scamander and he came with the idea to write  Fantastic Beast and  were to find them. I Fantastic Beast and were to find  them is not a story like the Harry  Potter  books.

July 18, 2016, 10:39:31 AM
Reply #3

Resonance

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
Hi, wishes! Nice to meet another FB (Fantastic Beasts) enthusiast.

Like you, wishes, I'm delighted that Newt's a Huffie;  I love the fairness and hard work values of Hufflepuff! 

And Helen Potter, it's cool, isn't it, that an average-looking no-maj will be so important in this earlier -in-time story, set in a different society across an ocean from where we first experienced the wizarding world. 

One might imagine that, just as Rowling reminded us in books 1-7 to be always vigilent against the lies, bigotry, apathy, scapegoating, and cruelty that so quickly can destroy freedom and compasion, and result in murderous totalitarian regimes, in the North American context, she will use the alliance with a no-maj as a personal-level example of the likely larger aim at the US magic community's extreme (in type and centuries - long) reactionary responses to having been hideously persecuted in the past. So many horrible parallels in our times to events in the US, Europe, Middle East, and portions of Africa.

wishes, I'm happy that you, too, enjoyed my link to the FB art on the HP Companion site.  Josie created a beautiful and thought-provoking site there by currating and selecting so much fan art, and writing deeply insightful essays and gorgeously illustrated chapter summaries.  As I re-read books 1-7, I'm going slow this time and matching the reading with a strolll thru those illustrated chapter summaries.

I, too, was surprised by the availability of Rowling's screenplay -- it was only in recent days that I paid attention that the FB screenplay will be released 19 November, and perhaps the pre-order option is recent(?), but I now see it was announced in April.

I am surprised (and happy!) that they are not delaying it until after the film has been out a while., as, unlike  The Cursed Child, which is available only to the few who can get tickets to the play in London, Fantastic Beasts will be widely available in zillions of theaters.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:12:24 PM by Resonance »

July 18, 2016, 10:13:40 PM
Reply #4

wishes

• (:

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
I had almost forgotten that Fantastic Beasts would be set in the US! I think it's because I've been watching a ton of interviews of the actor Eddie Redmayne who is English so I just immediately assumed it would be in England as the original Harry Potter movies all had an all UK cast. I'm super excited to the wizarding community of the US, and the creatures that dwell there. Pottermore already released one new creature called the Swooping Evil.

previously Nyu

July 19, 2016, 11:31:24 AM
Reply #5

Resonance

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »
Yes, among so much that promises to be intriguing about the FB movie is the 'culture shock' Newt experiences upon arriving in 1920s USA from 1920s UK.  Quite fitting that a superb English actor will play Newt, eh?

And I suppose we weren't surprised that a 'Swooping Evil' beast will be introduced in FB, given how assiduously Rowling endeavors to awaken readers-viewers both to obvious evil and, worse, to the 'banality of evil' (Hanna Arendt's concept) that many of us tolerate or fail to notice ourselves contributing to, and which is what actually empowers hideous evils.

There may be other new 'beasts' too.  Am eager to find out in Nov!  As others have observed elsewhere, it seems unlikely that Newt's FB textbook is a complete catalog; indeed, there are a few beasts mentioned in bks 1-7 that are not in the FB textbook.  One can imagine that Newt's text may be less thorough the farther away from the British Isles one travels.

Those nifflers sure are cute!  I love the clips where the little claws are seen coming out of Newt's case at US customs.

I'm eager to see where entering Newt's briefcase takes one.  Perhaps it's the enlarged space where Newt works with some of his beasts?  Or a 'wormhole' to another geographic place?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:36:23 AM by Resonance »

July 20, 2016, 08:15:23 AM
Reply #6

Resonance

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Yes, altho  I can imagine several kinds of evil that JK Rowling has her "good guys" characters oppose in the new FB, I strongly agree that doesn't mean that  a Sweeping Evil is a dark creature -- and were it dark, imagining an evil creature to be akin to a Lethifold feels spot on, Bella.

But if we combine the flash of bright color (feels like a Phoenix) with the "sweeping" descriptor for this creature, we might wonder whether, quite the opposite, it may be a creature that helps "clean up" and oppose evil. Perhaps Newt has one in his case, and it's ultimately a helper to the "good guys" amid whatever is going on in NYC?

I, too, have wondered when the DVD release will be -- likely later, eh?  I presume that because, unlike the screenplay (or a book), the written text doesn't pull profits from movie theaters  like  DVDs can.  Because the electronic version of the screenplay was only $12 USD and can be read endless times anywhere at any time, I decided I may have enough pennies for that by Nov.  But how rich a Rowling script is compared to a Rowling novel remains to be read!

As for plot, it already feels that Rowling yet again has several layers of it in this new story. In addition to friendship and trust between wizards and no-mag; the problems released by the escape of some of Newt's beasts; and probably at least one romance, one might also imagine, for example:

Given how many parallels HP books1-7 have to horrific events in Europe and former Soviet nations during the fascist-Nazi-Bolshevik era of terror, scapegoating, and falsehood surrrounding WWII;
and given the dangerous present-day appeal of similarly unprincipled would-be demigogues, plus loss of noble virture and critical thinking and meaningful involvement by the masses . . .

. . . one can imagine inspiration from to precursors like 1920s Weimar Germany and|or the political-corporate corruption seen during a certain 1920s US administration.

One also can imagine it all informed by the terrifying contemporary parallel (deja vu) of a culture that empowers the alarming rise in popularity and power of certain hateful, falsehood-spewing demi-gods in the US and some European nations.  It's more palatable for present-day persons and society  to be confronted with our blindness if the story seems to be of anther time decades distant, if not another place. 

While I can imagine Rowling's horror at the rise to power of a purveyor of falsehood, hatred, and selfishness being a strong current in her recent writing, but we'll find out in November! She certainly has shown in books 1-7 that she knows how to keep it palatable by giving us lots of adventure, humor, and love in the main plot lines.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:24:32 AM by Resonance »

July 20, 2016, 08:39:50 PM
Reply #7

Landon

Re: Fantastic Beasts + POLL
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »
Regarding the poll, I'm definitely going to see it when it comes out, as soon as I can. I'm not sure if I'll be reading the screenplay. Part of me wants it to be a surprise. xD
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter, Glee, Fifth Harmony, Hunger Games

July 21, 2016, 01:23:34 PM
Reply #8

Resonance

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
Yeah, this year's Nov. 18  FB movie (and this summer-fall's Cursed Child stage production) will be a very different subjective and cultural phenomenon than the past experiences for those who grew up steeped in a milieu of each HP bk 1-7 releasing years before each of the resulting movies.

-1-  No text of the story will have been released prior to the Nov 18 FB film debut. 

In vivid contrast, many/most HP movie 1-8 attendees were steeped in the book 1-7 stories long  before each book was transformed into a movie; the "suspense" was not about plot but about how it would be transformed to make the leap from page to cinema screen,what would be added/deleated, etc.

-2-  Whether one wants to read the Nov 19 screenplay before or after viewing the first FB film, a screenplay is a different critter than a novel. 

And that is part of the suspense, and trepidation, for me:

- How much of the rich mental-emotional background will Rowling have inserted into the screenplay?

- Besides the dialog, how much os setting and action will have been included in the screenplay -- or be absent because it's what the directors and producers create out of the script?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:42:19 PM by Resonance »

July 21, 2016, 02:16:38 PM
Reply #9

JudithC

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
My plan is to see the movie as soon as possible after it comes out.  What will actually happen remains to be seen, since circumstances have a way of derailing my plans.

I am wildly curious about what exactly the movie will be about, but I'm a bit leery of trying to find out in advance.  For one thing, I'd like to have something to look forward to being surprised about.  For another, in the past reading rumors has spoiled my enjoyment of the actual event, whether through expectation of good things that did not actually appear or trepidation about things that did not make sense to me that (also) did not appear, or were set up so that they made sense in context.  Either way, walking into the theater with a preconceived idea of the content of a movie has rarely been my friend.

Scripts/screenplays are indeed very different from books.  For one thing, screenplays contain jargon specific to filmmaking that can make them hard for anyone not in the industry to understand.  For another, not everything (stage directions, etc.) appears on the page, to allow the actors and director creative latitude to interpret what is written down (principally dialogue).  As an actor, my main interest in seeing a script or a screenplay is finding out what was on the page, and what came out of the head(s) of the actors and/or director. 

I think I'd like to get the script for Cursed Child because the odds are very much against my ever being able to see the play, and I do want to know what it's about.  If I go for the screenplay of FB, I'll probably read it between two viewings of the movie so I can see what the creative team contributed and then go back and appreciate it all over again.

Resonance suggested that I post my recent FB graphic here, and my ego thinks that's a dandy idea.  Here 'tis.

July 21, 2016, 03:07:54 PM
Reply #10

Resonance

Re: Fantastic Beasts + POLL + FB Graphic Montage!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
As our anticipation builds toward the November release of the new wizarding world in which Fantastc Beasts is set, please enjoy how JudithC has graced our FB thread with a fabulous graphic montage.

Thank you, JudithC!

A beautiful reminder that Newt's magical suitcase was opened "only a schmidge" . . . .

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:04:02 PM by Resonance »

July 22, 2016, 10:20:56 PM
Reply #11

Resonance

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »
Update: A new character's face appears on the new FB artwork.

The critters are fascinating. Interesting observation, Maltrix, re the match between that adorable little Niffler we've gotten a video glimpse of and cannon.  Tho I entered the Potterverse less than three years ago, I'm quite steeped in the first set of books and do feel better when there's consistency with that existing canon.  I am looking forward to discovering how Rowling et al. weave elements of current canon together with two new stories, each nearly a century distant from the other.

Also re Nifflers: I love how JudithC's graphic include those adorable lttle niffler toenails.

Is it just me, or does the nano-second glimpse we've been given of Sweeping Evil . . .
. . . suggest a tiny head that seems a bit skull-like?  Something about that tiny tan/white face evokes Thestrals (a favorite of mine) for me.  That is its face, isn't it? Or?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:18:09 AM by Resonance »

July 24, 2016, 12:12:00 AM
Reply #12

Resonance

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Sorry for posting again, but you may want this: the New Fantastic Beasts Trailer was released today, with many new scene peeks.

Includes glimpses of several creatures we've not seen before.
And another shot of Sweeping Evil, which seems consistent with the hunch we discussed (below). 

Thoughts? Reactions?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:13:45 AM by Resonance »

July 24, 2016, 12:20:52 AM
Reply #13

wishes

• (:

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »
That trailer was fantastic! Also, I feel like it didn't give much away in terms of plot (than the previous trailer already did), which is a bonus because I hate it when trailers give away all the cool shots and plot twists. And I'm now really interested on what role Swooping Evil will have on the story give it's new clips in the trailer and Stephanie's theory. And I like comic relief guy (don't know his name, the won that says "I wish I was a wizard"), it would be really cool if he was indeed a Muggle caught up in this craze.

previously Nyu

July 24, 2016, 05:17:36 PM
Reply #14

Resonance

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
I agree, wishes!  After viewing the new trailer, my hunch about the Swooping Evil feels even stronger, for reasons including those expressed by Maltrix .

Yeah, the 'comic relief guy' is awesome.  Jacob is one of the four main characters: a no-maj who plays a big role as Newt's male accomplice.  Cool to have a significant Muggle character this time. 

Makes sense that goblins would be running the speakeasies and the entertainment therein, another way to make money off an opportunity. And let's hope the house elf we saw gets better treatment than those in the UK decades later.

But what are those distressing-destructive magical forces?
The black "tornado" may very well be a Thunderbird.  What do y'all think?

And is this a thunderbird?

Am quite puzzled by what does all that destructive burrowing and blasting through brick. 
Can't think of a creature we already know of -- if it is a creature. And yet, when the huge [thunder]bird arises near the subway entrance, it appears to have perhaps come from underneath a brick/concrete plaza.

Did you y'all see--
- a mischievous demiguise making off with something?
- an occamy? and an occamy egg?
- a billywig?

- translucent, airborn things that look like something under a microscope (or jellyfish-like, but not in shape)--except they seem to be 1-3 feet long?  Hmmm.  One might imagine billywig larva.  Hmmm.
- what is under the ice?  Only hinkypunks seem to have lights among the textbook beasts , but their habitat is marshes and nothing suggests they breath underwater.

- and what Jacob sees escape Newt's case? The closest I could come up with from the FB textbook for that pinkish hedgehog-like thing that leaps/flies out of the suitcase is a murtlap, but that seems not quite right, plus it seems to morph into something more bird-like as it moves.  Thoughts?**

**Update: Mugglenet has written:
One of the new creatures in the trailer is called a Burtlap, a “hairless rabbit-like creature with an amoeba stuck to its back,” and the creature hurts Jacob.
  Mispelling aside, perhaps that pink flash is a murtlap.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:46:23 PM by Resonance »