Advanced Search

Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts + POLL + FB Graphic Montage!  (Read 5788 times)

July 25, 2016, 02:00:52 AM
Reply #15

wishes

• (:

Re: Fantastic Beasts + POLL + FB Graphic Montage!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 02:00:52 AM »
That is one majestic Thunderbird!! When I first watched it I thought it was a hippogriff (perhaps it was the wings?). And can I just say... the music at 1:40 onwards is so wonderful and amazing it still gives me the chills. Hedwig's Theme will forever be one of my favourite movie soundtracks.

previously Nyu

July 25, 2016, 01:40:25 PM
Reply #16

Resonance

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
Yeah, that Thunderbird is as big or bigger than a Hippogriff.  And I'm feeling even more confident that the black 'Tornado' coming down the street is a Tbird now that I've caught a frame in which one can see the dark shadow of its body (below the youtube arrow) with the "U" of up-stretched wings (around the arrow):

Even Newt seems rather unprepared for this legendary N.American beast, eh?

But is it beasts or is it, perhaps, Grindlewald followers, who are terrorizing the no-maj presidential campaign?

Maltrix, thanks for confirming four of the critters!  The Murtlap is more challenging, so it'll be interesting what you may be able to discover.  That critter appears to be what bit Jacob in the neck; we know from the FB textbook that murtlaps will bite people who step on them.  But then most things get defensive-aggressive when cornered or hurt.

Re the Occamy, I'm suspecting it plays a significant role, given how prominent a role it has as the first "S" in "Beasts" in the stylized "Fantastic Beasts" lettering and animations . . .

. . . and eggs in the trailers|features to date.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:49:33 PM by Resonance »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter; Simone Weil

July 25, 2016, 07:33:53 PM
Reply #17

Resonance

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
Like you, Maltrix, I appreciate that the "canon" beasts we've seen so far are reasonably consistent with what's mentioned in the textbook entries you've highlighted.

Good catch noticing that Yates confirms there's a Murtlap in the film, even if he doesn't comment on the streaking-from-suitcase critter.

The "Murtlap tenticles" that grow on its back (where all the still clips I've made of the streaking critter suggest there is indeed something there) are valued in potions, but overdose can turn earhair purple.  So may make sense for the coloration to be in the pink-purple range?  Here's some art that seemed plausible to me (the old Pottermore showed the tenticles as grren and purple) and somewhere in the ballpark of the still frames I've made of the streak, tho what's in the trailer seems furry in the non-amemone parts of it:

Concerning the Billywig, the more I look at the translucent thing in the speakeasy, the more it appears to my eye to resemble a translucent (why? how?)Billywig:

Of course, the view we get of the thing floating in the speakeasy is fron the side, while we see the fully embodied Billywig from above. But what's puzzling/implausible about that hypothesis (besides them being translucent...) is that Scamander's textbook tells us Billywigs are bee-sized, not 1-3 feet long. 

What do y'all think?  Are we meeting ghosts /something new?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:25:31 PM by Resonance »

August 20, 2016, 12:30:37 PM
Reply #18

Resonance

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »
For crisp images of six of the eight(?) or nine(?) beasts that flash by in the FB trailers, here's an article link for those who've not yet seen it.

Missing in the article are images, or even speculations concerning, three other appearances we've previously speculated about:

1. Billywig (clearly visible above Tina and the crowd, in the trailer discussed above); Maltrix confirmed this one for us.  Here's an image I cliped:

2. Murtlap, or ? (blurred image, posted above, of what leaps/flies out of Newt's suitcase and bites Jacob on the neck).  Maltrix found the interview that confirns there's one in the film, even if it doesn't commit to telling us that this creature is it.

3. The translucent, smoke-like thing in the speakeasy (the image posted above that resembles the ghost of a hugely enlarged billywig or similar).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:07:46 PM by Resonance »

November 18, 2016, 02:59:54 PM
Reply #19

veebee123

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
I watched the movie yesterday and I loved it! Anyone watched it yet? What are your thoughts?

Spoiler: show

1) newt scamander was perfect
2) I wish porpentina's character was more bold/interesting
3) Loved her sister and her mind reading skills
4) the death chamber at MACUSA was SCARY
5) ANIMAL WORLD IN SUITCASE IT WAS LIKE MAGIC.
6) Thank you Newt Scamander for bringing glory to hufflepuff
7) What do you think about Arianna Dumbledore being an obscurus?
8) Grindelwald uhhh too much like the Barty Crouch story

• Fandoms: Harry Potter | The Hobbit | The Hunger Games | The Divergent series | Nerdfighteria/Vlogbrothers |

November 22, 2016, 07:06:01 AM
Reply #20

wishes

• (:

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 07:06:01 AM »
I have yet to watch it as my plans fell through with my friend who became incredibly sick ): But we organised a day next week to go see it when she's feeling better so we can spaz out! I'm so glad you loved it, I heard it's getting some really great reviews!

previously Nyu

November 25, 2016, 08:59:16 PM
Reply #21

JudithC

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »
I saw it this afternoon, and I'm curiously unsatisfied.  I hope there's at least one more because I feel like this one barely scratched the surface, particularly in terms of character development.  The old JKR magic is definitely there, but more like in the first couple of books in the series than with the depth she got into with the later books.  There's definitely more story to be told, since Newt and Tina ended the movie apart, and they're a canon couple.  I did love his menagerie, and the way he was with and about the animals.  And seeing the animals.  Bottom line?  The movie was a good start, and it had a lot more solid ending than I was expecting, given the rumors of more to come, but I do hope it's not actually the end.

November 26, 2016, 07:03:59 PM
Reply #22

Tharidra

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
There are so many literary themes to look at in this movie!

Classism, save the environment, America having weird rules/being a jerk to freedom...

I really wish they would've just picked one. Having so many is confusing.

November 26, 2016, 07:13:24 PM
Reply #23

veebee123

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
Yes, America and Britain did seem very different when it came to certain rules, especially the No Maj rules and the rules about breeding magical creatures. Overall, I think Britain seems more progressive, but are there any positives to American magical community rules that are not there in Britain?
Perhaps their method of killing people (memory chamber) is more humane than Azkaban? (dementors' kiss)
I'm curious to know what are some things the two countries can learn from each other.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:31:05 PM by veebee123 »
  • Fandoms: Harry Potter | The Hobbit | The Hunger Games | The Divergent series | Nerdfighteria/Vlogbrothers |

December 01, 2016, 09:12:36 AM
Reply #24

wishes

• (:

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
I finally got the chance to watch it, and I honestly found it a bit slow at the beginning. However it really picked up as it entered the climax and the CGI was terrific. I really loved the menagerie as well and my favourite creature would have to be the niffler <3 The demiguise was pretty darn cute as well.

Spoilers below with more thoughts!

I understand that Newt is supposed to be an awkward fellow who feels more comfortable around creatures than people - but did anyone have a feeling that Newt was perhaps on the autism spectrum? He had a number of repetitive movements and idiosyncrasies, and he really couldn't look anyone in the eye (except twice in the whole movie I think) which is in line with my experiences. That being said, I loved Newt and I enjoyed Eddie Redmayne's portrayal - ESPECIALLY THE MATING DANCE SCENE! The whole theatre was in absolute hysterics during that scene.

In terms of characters, I definitely agree they were missing some important character development which I hope will be explored in the future movies (Rowling mentioned she was hoping for five?). My favourites are Newt and Queenie. Honestly, Tina bored me a little ): Credence's actor was fantastically creepy and was honestly not expected his twist at all. Rowling mentioned that Credence will have an important role in this movie series, which is interesting seeing as how this movie ended? I'm excited to see how they will interweave Credence into the rest of the series. Not sure about Johnny Depp, no opinion on that yet. What do you guys think?

previously Nyu

December 01, 2016, 12:11:55 PM
Reply #25

JudithC

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:55 PM »
More little spoilerish stuff:

Good point about autism.  I wonder if that's something Eddie Redmayne considered when building the character inside his head.  Such an unsettled lifestyle would be an interesting choice, though, given the general preference for a stable routine.

Thanks for mentioning the mating dance!  It reminded me how very flexible Redmayne is - which in retrospect I knew, thanks to his portrayal of Stephen Hawking.  Which, by the way, was brilliant, and anybody who hasn't seen it should.

Oh, yeah, the niffler, too.  Then again, I like critters more than I do most people.