Advanced Search

Author Topic: J.K. Rowling: 'The Cursed Child' is the final Potter story [non-spoiler]  (Read 1421 times)

August 01, 2016, 04:41:35 PM
Read 1421 times

Caleb

Note that this discussion is NOT about the plot of 'The Cursed Child,' but rather what Rowling has said about her writing after this play's release.

Rowling told Reuters that "Harry is done now." This is much more closed than when she said "never say never" to another story after the Deathly Hallows release.

What do we think - will this really be the end of stories related to Potter, or could something else pop up? Might she do something else like Fantastic Beasts (Marauders, perhaps)? Again, let's steer clear of Cursed Child plot and character discussion.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:42:02 PM by Caleb »

August 01, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
Reply #1

turelie

I'm fine with Harry's story being finished. I like the way she said [emphasis mine] "Harry is done now." Kind of leaves the door open for her to explore other things in the Harry Potter universe. Fans definitely want more and I'll respect her if she never touches on the wizarding world again. Then again, it's a big, big world, what she created. She could write about loads of stuff and never even mention Harry Potter again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:54:33 PM by turelie »

August 01, 2016, 05:08:14 PM
Reply #2

Stardust

• Administrator

• We are the others

• Pronouns: She/her

I'm pretty good with Harry's story being finished now and that of his children.

I do think it would be interesting to see some Marauders era stuff though and to see what happened during the first war, or even the Founders era would be pretty awesome because I feel like there's so much from that time period that we still don't know about.

Of course, if she wanted to take it upon herself to write another full on book about Harry, Ron, and Hermione in ten years or so, I would never say "No thank you, Ms. Rowling. You said it was finished."
  • Fandoms: Doctor Who, Merlin, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Mortal Instruments, The Magicians, Hunger Games

August 01, 2016, 08:47:48 PM
Reply #3

anastasia

• Pronouns: They/Them

I was kind of ready for Harry to have his last story with Deathly Hallows. But like Cort said, I'm not one to say "No thank you Ms. Rowling I won't have any more Harry Potter."

I... I have been trying to figure out how I feel about all of this extra information she's been adding to the Potter Universe. Because she's made it really apparent that she can't ever really be done with Potter completely. And I've loved all of the information so far. I love the backgrounds on existing characters, creations of new characters, the information on different wizarding schools has been neat. For the most part, it all feels just as unique as the original seven books.

But I also kind of want it to be Just Those Seven Books. Those books are my childhood, and while when it ended I would have killed for new stories and information, I have dealt with the Post Potter Depression. Those stories are my childhood. Those stories feel very much complete as they are, without any of the added information. And I feel like at a certain point they don't... add to the original story in the right ways. Or maybe I'm really growing up and turning into a buzzkill. :S

But yeah, I would much rather see something like Fantastic Beasts than another Harry Potter story. If she's going to expand on the world so much, I would love to see stories to make it feel more real and just as well thought out as the original books were.
Don't
Panic

August 03, 2016, 10:50:32 AM
Reply #4

Caleb

Well said. I'm also in the camp that - I'm fine with this being the end of Harry's stories. It's more than I ever expected. The hype around the release has brought back a nice bit of nostalgia. But you know - it's her world. If she wants to write more, do work JKR.